Placing points relative to others

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

Placing points relative to others

Postby luggw1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:37 am

This may be a difficult question to get across, but I'm going to try just the same. Understand that I come from the background of Bentley Microstation, so it colors the capabilities that I'm looking for in QCad. What I'm looking to be able to do is snap to a point, say an intersection of two lines, and then specify a relative distance from that point to place the first point of a new entity. Is this possible in QCad? I understand that I could create a temporary entity, like a line, to work from, but I've found that sometimes that can get a little messy if the construction lines get away from you.

Thanks.
Bill Lugg
luggw1
Newbie Member

Re: Placing points relative to others

Postby andrew » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 am

This can be done in QCAD using relative coordinates.

There is a snap tool that lets you specify a relative coordinate in the tool bat at the top. Relative coordinates relate to the last used point in the drawing, marked with a small red cross and a circle.

You can also enter relative coordinates in the command line using the syntax @x,y, for example:
@10,0
for the point that is 10 units to the right of the last used point.

Other coordinate types are:

Absolute coordinate:
x,y

Absolute polar coordinate:
distance<angle

Relative polar coordinate:
@distance<angle
andrew
Site Admin

Re: Placing points relative to others

Postby luggw1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 am

Thanks, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to play with it to better understand how it works.

Bill Lugg
luggw1
Newbie Member

Return to QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions