Pre-order questions QCAD vs AutoCAD

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

vodabl
Registered Member

Pre-order questions QCAD vs AutoCAD

Post by vodabl » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:12 am

Hi to all.

I am thinking of purchasing pro version of QCAD. Since I have been using CAD for years, though I am not CAD professional there is a number of functions in CAD I would like to see it as much as possible in the new alternative. I am inquiring whether new alternative will have a functionality that I need in my work. So here is the list of the questions:

1. Does QCAD support import and execution of lisp files? I use this regularly when need to convert 3D to 2D polylines, or to geo-reference imported raster etc...

2. Does QCAD have "layout" vs "model" interface like in CAD? Model is where you draw, layout is where you prepare for printing.

3. Does QCAD have F key option, like in ACAD, F4 for osnap, F8 for ortho, F10 for polar etc...

4. Does QCAD support raster image import, or external references?

5. Does QCAD support transparency in layers? For instance, I would import raster image, set raster in layer and then change transparency to make it deem.

6.How about bunch of commands from AutoCAD...Di, DV, PL, PE, ?

This is for now some of the most important that come on my mind which can help me decide.

Thank you!

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Pre-order questions QCAD vs AutoCAD

Post by CVH » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:11 am

Hi,
1) No, QCAD uses ECMAScript.
QCAD is basically 2D, there is a method to flatten all to 2D.
QCAD includes a method of importing points from a CSV table.
2) Yes.
3) QCAD is never intended to be an ACAD clone, QCAD works with 2 key sequence shortcuts.
Most things can be customized like commands or shortcuts but there is no one on one relation nor a cross reference with ACAD commands.
For most methods it relies on a (shared) Option Toolbar for additional settings or options.
4) QCAD includes most common image types.
QCAD does not support XREF's.
5) Not by layer, images have an Alpha channel property.
6) See 3

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Pre-order questions QCAD vs AutoCAD

Post by Husky » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:48 pm

Hi,
vodabl wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:12 am
I am thinking of purchasing pro version of QCAD. Since I have been using CAD for years, though I am not CAD professional there is a number of functions in CAD I would like to see it as much as possible in the new alternative. I am inquiring whether new alternative will have a functionality that I need in my work. So here is the list of the questions:
To make the list complete what Qcad can do for you ... :wink:
https://qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”