Relationships and Editing

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Mark
Newbie Member

Relationships and Editing

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:37 am

For background, I'm used to AutoCAD, Solidworks and Inventor, but am looking to use QCad at home because it can run under Linux and looks like it will do everything I need for personal use. Waste not, want not.

It seems like a lasting relationship between entities isn't made with snaps like it would be in the above mentioned programs. For example, if I snapped the center of a circle to an intersection between two lines, then moved one line (and hence the intersection), the circle would remain unchanged. Is this the case or am I missing something?

(Note that this is in now way a pointed question.)

rlhorn
Newbie Member

The answer is...

Post by rlhorn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:13 pm

No. You can not create a relationship in Qcad like you could in Acad.

You do have the ability to use grips, to a certain degree. So you could move the lines and then grip the end point of the one line and snap to center of circle.

Afterthough: Could also use the stretch command. Grab the 2 lines and leave the second anchored to the center of circle.

QCad is not Autocad, and I dont think it ever will be. But I will say, I like it (Qcad that is) and have never looked back.

Just one mans personal opinion.

I used to use the programs you mentioned as well. (2002 Acad and 2005 SW). I was really tired of trying to keep up to date with the yearly or so updates put out by the above companies, and I was sick and tired of MS.

Since I work for myself contracting here and there. I switched to Linux a few years back. I now use Qcad and Varicad.
QCAD v2.1.3.2 on KUBUNTU Feisty Fawn v7.04

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”