Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCAD 3

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD version 3

Moderator: andrew

Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCAD 3

Postby Clive » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 pm

I am working on an ongoing project where making my own hatch patterns is needed, I cannot rely on the many hatch patterns freely available because they are just not authentic enough for my liking :cry: - so I am designing my own 'medieval' style hatch patterns for all sorts of building structures.

Now... the only way I have found to do this (because I don't like the .pat format) is by using QCAD 2. I am able to design a pattern for my requirements and save it to the pattern library in QCAD 2 in .dxf format -great 8).

Then I have to open up my drawing from QCAD 3 (in the correct format compatible with QCAD 2!) in QCAD 2 and complete the 'hatching'.Once complete I then have to open this file up again back in QCAD 3.

Its a lots of forwards and backwards but I get there in the end.

So my suggestion is to bring back the option to save 'self made' hatches in the .dxf format to QCAD 3.1 8)
I have added a feature request for this:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... ask_id=819

What do others think about this?
User avatar
Clive
Moderator
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCA

Postby Husky » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 pm

clive wrote:I have added a feature request for this:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... ask_id=819
What do others think about this?

Hi Clive, I try right now to understand the problematic but I'm already confused with the information what I have found (I'm sure - thats only me!!!) :roll:

The request is already closed because it was a duplicate - the answer in the first request was that you can use the "Pattern fill tool" in combination with the clipboard.
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... ask_id=704
Sounds interesting but where can I find this ominous "Pattern fill tool" :shock:

clive wrote:I am working on an ongoing project where making my own hatch patterns is needed, I cannot rely on the many hatch patterns freely available because they are just not authentic enough for my liking :cry: - so I am designing my own 'medieval' style hatch patterns for all sorts of building structures.
Personal curious - what kind of project is it? 8)
User avatar
Husky
Moderator
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 am
Location: USA

Re: Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCA

Postby Clive » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:13 am

Husky wrote:Hi Clive, I try right now to understand the problematic but I'm already confused with the information what I have found (I'm sure - thats only me!!!) :roll:

Hi Husky, quite simply I want to design and make my own hatches in QCAD and add them to the pattern library :wink: . But I cannot do this in QCAD 3 because the hatch format is in the.pat format.
So I am using QCAD 2 to design and make my hatches because in QCAD 2 I can save my own hatch design to the .dxf format!
But in order to 'hatch' something I am working on in QCAD 3...I have to open it up in QCAD 2...so that I can add my 'own' hatch I made.
Hope this explains it better )probably not :roll:.

Husky wrote:The request is already closed because it was a duplicate - the answer in the first request was that you can use the "Pattern fill tool" in combination with the clipboard.
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... ask_id=704

Yes it seems that when I requested this yesterday, Andrew has closed it because there is already a similar request made - which I had forgotten about.

Husky wrote:Sounds interesting but where can I find this ominous "Pattern fill tool" :shock:

I think Andrew is just making a suggestion here of an 'idea' for a possible pattern tool, but it is still undecided/not implemented.

I guess it would be better to have a 'plug-in' for a pattern generator (which there is a feature request for) but I am guessing that this may take a bit of time to do...but in the meantime it would be useful (for me anyway :wink: ) to have the function to save a 'user made' hatch style in the .dxf format like in QCAD version 2.

clive wrote:I am working on an ongoing project where making my own hatch patterns is needed, I cannot rely on the many hatch patterns freely available because they are just not authentic enough for my liking :cry: - so I am designing my own 'medieval' style hatch patterns for all sorts of building structures.

Husky wrote:Personal curious - what kind of project is it? 8)

Sure no problem. Well, in between other work I am drawing 're-constructed' elevation (top, North, South, West, East) plans of a Norman castle. The idea is to make a scaled model of the castle (probably 1:500) with some parts in a larger scale (1:100/200).
Most of the model will be laser cut using various materials including card stock, real wood veneers. For the stone masonry/wall details etc. I want to etch (score) hatching details and so I am making my own hatches as authentic as I can. The finished model will probably be used for educational purposes and I hope to make some smaller kits too.

I have a lot of ideas for more medieval type projects in the pipeline but they will take some time to 'get right' 8) , I don't want to make a simple model here, I hope to eventually have a very detailed example at the end :wink: .
User avatar
Clive
Moderator
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCA

Postby Husky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 am

clive wrote:I think Andrew is just making a suggestion here of an 'idea' for a possible pattern tool, but it is still undecided/not implemented.

Too bad - I would also love to have an easy tool to create my own hatches!


clive wrote:Sure no problem. Well, in between other work I am drawing 're-constructed' elevation (top, North, South, West, East) plans of a Norman castle. The idea is to make a scaled model of the castle (probably 1:500) with some parts in a larger scale (1:100/200).
Most of the model will be laser cut using various materials including card stock, real wood veneers. For the stone masonry/wall details etc. I want to etch (score) hatching details and so I am making my own hatches as authentic as I can. The finished model will probably be used for educational purposes and I hope to make some smaller kits too.

I have a lot of ideas for more medieval type projects in the pipeline but they will take some time to 'get right' 8) , I don't want to make a simple model here, I hope to eventually have a very detailed example at the end :wink: .


Thanks for enlighten me. :wink:
Sounds interesting - therefore you are planing on a Norman castle 3D Model. Will you also use layer technique for walls, tower etc.? What I mean is e.g. a round tower - slided for the laser into 25(?) horizontal layer (plywood, acrylic or what ever) to stack them up after cutting to a round tower with doors, windows, arrow-slits, Merlon, crenelate etc. etc. etc.?
User avatar
Husky
Moderator
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 am
Location: USA

Re: Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCA

Postby Clive » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:51 am

Husky wrote:Will you also use layer technique for walls, tower etc.? What I mean is e.g. a round tower - slided for the laser into 25(?) horizontal layer (plywood, acrylic or what ever) to stack them up after cutting to a round tower with doors, windows, arrow-slits, Merlon, crenelate etc. etc. etc.?

Yes I will have to stack up laser cut sections for creating any circular constructions like towers, turrets etc..
For the rest it will consist of facades/flat sections which can be glued or connected together to achieve any wall thickness I need. I suppose I could make 'rounded' parts by hand but I won't because I want the whole thing to be completely precise and have the same 'laser cut' finish 8).
User avatar
Clive
Moderator
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCA

Postby Husky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:41 pm

clive wrote:For the rest it will consist of facades/flat sections which can be glued or connected together to achieve any wall thickness I need. I suppose I could make 'rounded' parts by hand but I won't because I want the whole thing to be completely precise and have the same 'laser cut' finish 8).

Finally - I'm jealous! Sounds like a really nice project. Have fun!!!! :D
User avatar
Husky
Moderator
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 am
Location: USA

Re: Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCA

Postby Clive » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Husky wrote:Finally - I'm jealous! Sounds like a really nice project. Have fun!!!! :D

Well Husky, you just have to design your own fun project now :wink: or you could always send me your designs and I'll laser cut them out for you :lol:
User avatar
Clive
Moderator
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: Bring back option to make Hatch patterns in .dxf for QCA

Postby Husky » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 pm

clive wrote:... or you could always send me your designs and I'll laser cut them out for you :lol:

Thanks for the offer :D .... maybe .... one day .... I will take you at his word :wink:
User avatar
Husky
Moderator
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 am
Location: USA


Return to QCAD 3 Suggestions and Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests