Feature Request: One-Click Area Calculation

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

RungeZipperer
Newbie Member

Feature Request: One-Click Area Calculation

Post by RungeZipperer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:00 am

Hello,

if I understand right the area calculation in QCAD is only possible by redrawing the area with the polygon-area-tool (http://www.qcad.org/doc/qcad/2.2/refere ... ter29.html).

Wouldn´t it be nice to just click inside the area, an algorithm finds all limiting objects and then calculates the area? I often hand over my drawings to colleagues for area/volume/mass calculation. Would be a great enhancement to have this opportunity in QCAD!

What do others think?

riverbuoy

Re: Feature Request: One-Click Area Calculation

Post by riverbuoy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi RungeZipperer,
RungeZipperer wrote:Wouldn´t it be nice to just click inside the area, an algorithm finds all limiting objects and then calculates the area?
Yes, that would be nice. But what do you do about openings (doors, windows etc.), or open plan drawings, or niches, recesses in walls etc? (I have an architectural background).
The good thing about the area tool is you select exactly what you want to measure. Also in version 3.7.0 (which I am using) you only have to select the corners of the area you want to measure (rather than draw a polyline), and if you click the 'Add measure to drawing' tool, it will add the area and the polyline around the area, to the drawing. If you keep these on a seperate layer then you have a record of everything you have measured, and the polyline showing the area. You could also have different measurements for the same area, by including, or excluding, different parts.

riverbuoy

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello! 8)
RungeZipperer wrote:Wouldn´t it be nice to just click inside the area, an algorithm finds all limiting objects and then calculates the area? I often hand over my drawings to colleagues for area/volume/mass calculation. Would be a great enhancement to have this opportunity in QCAD!

What do others think?
I support this feature request to 100%! :wink:

riverbuoy wrote:But what do you do about openings (doors, windows etc.), or open plan drawings, or niches, recesses in walls etc? (I have an architectural background).
I have a Mechanical Engineering background and familiar with CAD since 25 Years. Maybe it isn't that important for an Architectural drawing but if I work on a Mechanical drawing all "niches, recesses" are very important for me for many kinds of calculation based on an area/circumference value.
If I don't need it or if I have an open shape I just could close it with a line. :wink:

riverbuoy wrote:The good thing about the area tool is you select exactly what you want to measure.
That is my problem - I can't select exactly what I want to measure. I can follow a straight line shape with this Polyline Area tool but nothing more. :cry:
What will I do if I have shapes like this?
Husky-2014.11.06-01.png
Husky-2014.11.06-01.png (3.26 KiB) Viewed 12013 times
riverbuoy wrote:You could also have different measurements for the same area, by including, or excluding, different parts.
Interesting! I did not know that. Could you please tell me how that works in one task?
Example: If I have a shape like this - how can I tell the tool that I need the big rectangle area minus the small rectangle area?
Husky-2014.11.06-02.png
Husky-2014.11.06-02.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 12013 times

RungeZipperer wrote:Wouldn´t it be nice to just click inside the area, an algorithm finds all limiting objects and then calculates the area?
I think that is the right way how it has to work for area and circumference calculation. Additional the option to tell the tool: This overall area minus this, this and this (included) area.

In our company - 25 Years ago (!) - nobody calculated anymore a shape by hand - we just used our CAD to draw the shape and seconds later we got the exact calculation of area and circumference.

It would be really nice to have an Area tool like this in QCAD! 8)
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

riverbuoy

Post by riverbuoy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi Husky
Husky wrote: riverbuoy wrote:You could also have different measurements for the same area, by including, or excluding, different parts.

Interesting! I did not know that. Could you please tell me how that works in one task?
I wasn't clear enough. I meant choose one area and add it to the drawing. Then run the command again, but choose a slightly different area, and add that to the drawing. Then run the command again...
I remember doing this for rooms, where one calculation showed the floor area of the room, and another one which included the walls in the area.
Husky wrote:That is my problem - I can't select exactly what I want to measure. I can follow a straight line shape with this Polyline Area tool but nothing more. :cry:
What will I do if I have shapes like this?
Yes, that is a problem. I don't have an answer for that.

riverbuoy

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:49 pm

riverbuoy wrote:Yes, that is a problem. I don't have an answer for that.
Come on - you have always a great solution! :D

Just kidding! It's absolutely clear to me that it must be very difficult to write a script for something like this - but my experience in using tools like this one tells me it's possible.
Of course - I have no idea what the code in QCad is capable of and I have either no idea what kind of code they have used back in the days - but that doesn't kills my hope. 8)
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Andrew has already added a feature request for a tool which may fulfill these needs:

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/in ... &closedto=
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:33 am

Clive wrote:Andrew has already added a feature request for a tool which may fulfill these needs:
Yes, and I just voted for it. You too? :D

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Husky wrote:Yes, and I just voted for it. You too? :D
Just added my vote :wink:.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

J-J

Post by J-J » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:09 pm

I support that as well
JJ Win7 pro-64

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”