Feature Request: New circle option (point, tangent, radius)

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

RungeZipperer
Newbie Member

Feature Request: New circle option (point, tangent, radius)

Post by RungeZipperer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:50 am

Hello,

according to my posting here

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3162

I would like to discuss this missing circle option as a feature request.

Up to know it´s impossible to draw a circle by the given combination: point, tangent and radius. I would like this to be added to the circle options.

(A workaround has been presented by andrew, see link)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: New circle option (point, tangent, radi

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Such a tool is certainly possible and desirable.

However, I'd like to point out that auxiliary constructions (as shown here) are often required and should not be considered workarounds but normal and a good practice.

Let's say you want to draw a circle with radius 2, and its center 50 units away from point A and 30 units away from point B. There is no special tool in QCAD for that very specific case. But draw a circle with R=50 around A and one with R=30 around B and you have the two possible centers of your circle as one of the intersection points of the two circles.

This is just one of many examples where basic geometry gets the job done just as effectively as having a special tool.

Auxiliary constructions like that should be done without hesitation. These constructions are usually placed on a separate layer (e.g. 'aux' or 'construction') which is switched off for printing. Rays and XLines are also often used for auxiliary constructions, since the length of construction lines is often irrelevant since it's the intersection points which are needed.

RungeZipperer
Newbie Member

Post by RungeZipperer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:13 pm

I do agree that there will always be auxiliary constructions and you can´t cover all possible cases in a tool like QCAD. This would in addition lead to a more confusing than helping GUI I guess.

Nevertheless in this specific case I think that my proposal would lead to a consistent way of modeling because all other circle-tools are already there except this one.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:53 pm

RungeZipperer wrote:Nevertheless in this specific case I think that my proposal would lead to a consistent way of modeling because all other circle-tools are already there except this one.
Sounds good, please add a feature request here:

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”