Vote for "make selected layer default parent for new layer"

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

caigner

Vote for "make selected layer default parent for new layer"

Post by caigner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:23 am

When adding a new layer I suggest to make the currently selected layer the default parent for the new layer.

Therefore I have created a feature request in the bugtracker and if you think that is a helpful feature feel free to vote for it.

https://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/i ... sk_id=1164
QCAD Pro on Gentoo Linux

Clive

Re: Vote for "make selected layer default parent for new lay

Post by Clive » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:34 am

A useful idea, but what if you need to create a new layer in it's own right?

How about adding your idea as an additional option to what is already available - 'Use Current Selected Layer' ?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

caigner

Post by caigner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 am

If you want to create a new layer in it's own right then just clear the parent layer field and the new layer will be a top level layer.

I often draw multiple parts on one drawing, so I create a top level layer for each part, and then sub-layers for each part as needed.
Therefore I need more sub-layers than top level layers, and hence I came up with my idea to make my workflow smoother.
QCAD Pro on Gentoo Linux

caigner

Post by caigner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:45 am

But i welcome your idea of making this an option. Would be great if I could choose to make the selected layer the default parent layer and someone else could choose to leave it like it is now.
QCAD Pro on Gentoo Linux

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:14 am

caigner wrote:If you want to create a new layer in it's own right then just clear the parent layer field and the new layer will be a top level layer.
Then the user would need to keep clearing the Parent Layer field - which would cause similar frustrations as you have and it would be an extra thing to watch out for!
caigner wrote:I often draw multiple parts on one drawing, so I create a top level layer for each part, and then sub-layers for each part as needed.
Therefore I need more sub-layers than top level layers, and hence I came up with my idea to make my workflow smoother.
Yes I understand completely, personally I think it would be easier (especially for new users) to leave things as they are and to have an option to tick to use the currently selected layer as the parent layer.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 am

I'm with Clive on this one. Creating top layers should be as easy / quick as possible. Most users don't even know / care about sublayers.

How about a separate tool to create a sub layer of the current layer instead? Oh wait - it's already there! :)

- Select a layer to be the parent layer of your new layer
- Choose Layer > Add Sublayer (YU)

Alternatively, you can also right-click on a layer and choose 'Add Sublayer' from the context menu.

If you have no objections, I will close this feature request.

caigner

Post by caigner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:09 pm

andrew wrote:How about a separate tool to create a sub layer of the current layer instead? Oh wait - it's already there! :)

- Select a layer to be the parent layer of your new layer
- Choose Layer > Add Sublayer (YU)
Great! Then I wish for a "Add Sublayer-Button" in the Layer-List. :-)
QCAD Pro on Gentoo Linux

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:11 pm

caigner wrote:Great! Then I wish for a "Add Sublayer-Button" in the Layer-List. :-)
Fair enough - this might be configurable in the future.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”