3.9.2 - Array of blocks

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

3.9.2 - Array of blocks

Post by Husky » Sat May 09, 2015 8:49 am

Hi,

after watching the QCad Changelog I was pretty exited to get an "Array of blocks" option. Now - after installing the 3.9.2 Version - I have the feeling that isn't that easy to handle it as I thought.

Ok, let see what I think ...

1. Starting the Insert Block tool brings up an option bar with the two new insert methods "Single Block" or "Array of Blocks". I guess that the "Single Block" option is always default - but I can't see that. It would be nice to have this button visually pressed as an indicator for which option is activate.
Husky-2015.05.08-01.png
Husky-2015.05.08-01.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
2. If I chose an Array of Blocks - in this case 3 Columns / 3 Rows I get a preview of 3 Columns by 100(?) Rows. Very confusing. After placing that in the drawing - everything comes back to the decided 3x3 Array.
Husky-2015.05.09-03.png
Husky-2015.05.09-03.png (10.32 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
Husky-2015.05.09-02.png
Husky-2015.05.09-02.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
3. If I like to insert an Array - I can't determine a specific Reference Point. It is always on the Bottom Left corner. It would be nice to have an option like the rectangle tool to chose different reference point to insert this block array.

4. If I like to move etc an existing Array - I cant use the usual QCad Snap Points as a reference point for this Array of Blocks. Snap Point are only functional on the "Base Block" in the Bottom Left Corner but everything else - except "Center of selection" is not working. How will I handle this nice Array of Blocks without the possibility to use Snap Points?

5. To find a workaround for my "Snap" point problem I tried to use the "Explode" tool in Qcad to break down the array. Ups - the explode tool will delete the complete array. Nothing left! What brings me to my next point ...

6. I use from time to time different CAM Programs which I have to feed with QCad drawings. Unfortunately a couple of those programs are not able to read blocks. Not a big deal with QCad: I just need to explode the blocks in my drawings and then send them to the CAM Software. Works perfectly!
But how can I use the new "Array of blocks" option for a CAM Program which has problems to read blocks? "Explode" isn't an option as we now know ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: 3.9.2 - Array of blocks

Post by andrew » Sat May 09, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks for your feedback. There are certainly things that need to be fixed or improved when time allows for it. For now, this is mainly useful for users who wish to load and correctly display drawings with block arrays.

Thanks for your patience!

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat May 09, 2015 9:45 pm

Now I'm sad ..... :(

Ok, understood - maybe next time.

BTW: Would it not make sense to extent the "Paste" tool - like the "Paste along entity" tool with an array functionality?
Just a thought .... 8)
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon May 11, 2015 8:22 am

A fix for the preview is now available at:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qcad/ ... rtBlock.js

Replaces file scripts/Block/InsertBlock/InsertBlock.js

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue May 12, 2015 7:55 am

andrew wrote:A fix for the preview is now available at:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qcad/ ... rtBlock.js

Replaces file scripts/Block/InsertBlock/InsertBlock.js
Works! Thank you.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 13, 2015 12:39 pm

QCAD 3.9.3 improves support for block arrays with snap to all instances and fixed exploding.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu May 14, 2015 1:33 am

andrew wrote:QCAD 3.9.3 improves support for block arrays with snap to all instances and fixed exploding.
Yeehaw! Very nice! Thank you so much. :D :D :D

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”