Tangentially connected tool + Restricted horizontally opt.

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Tangentially connected tool + Restricted horizontally opt.

Post by Husky » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:44 am

XP32, 3.1

Maybe somebody can help me to understand this behavior :shock:

If I try to use the Tangentially connected (AN) tool plus the Restricted horizontally (EH) option then I get something what I haven't expected.
I expected that the EH restriction works at the center of the radius - but it doesn't. Instead it is following some kind of angle ...
Similar problem with the other restriction tools ...
Husky-2013.06.15-01.png
Tangentially connected (AN) tool plus the Restricted horizontally (EH) option
Husky-2013.06.15-01.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
The goal in this scenario is to connect a 3/4 circle at a line. This example shows a horizontal line - but it should work at all lines under all angles ... :wink:
How can I tell the radius to be finished at 315° ... without additional construction lines?

Clive

Re: Tangentially connected tool + Restricted horizontally op

Post by Clive » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:00 am

Husky wrote:If I try to use the Tangentially connected (AN) tool plus the Restricted horizontally (EH) option then I get something what I haven't expected.
I expected that the EH restriction works at the center of the radius - but it doesn't. Instead it is following some kind of angle ...
Similar problem with the other restriction tools ...
Following the prompts when using this tool try this idea:

1.'Choose base line or arc' - so I choose a base line.

2.'choose end point of arc' - we are asked to select or determine a co-ordinate point some where!

At this stage using the snap restrictions will restrict us 'orthogonaly' to the grid when selecting our end point of the arc, in this example we don't need it really.
What we need is to use relative 'polar' coordinates.
So...if we enter in the command line @-100<315 and press enter it should get the job done :wink: .
To explain:

@ = relative as we know
using either - or + will determine the coordinate position as relation to the Cartesian grid.
100 is just a nominal number used - we could use any number but 100 seems good!
< is for angle as we know
315 is the degrees as we know - but with this particular command there isn't the option yet to specify the rotation direction.

I think this tool could have additional options added i.e. fields to input direction and angle required, a feature request is needed 8)

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:24 pm

clive wrote: So...if we enter in the command line @-100<315 and press enter it should get the job done :wink: .
Unfortunately - nope :?. Or should I say: Not good enough. I'm asking for 315° and get 272°(or 88° instead of 90°) :wink:
Husky-2013.06.15-01.png
Husky-2013.06.15-01.png (14.28 KiB) Viewed 6464 times
clive wrote:I think this tool could have additional options added i.e. fields to input direction and angle required, a feature request is needed 8)
Agree! Because right now I'm not really able to control this tool. But ... is it a bug, is it a feature request or is it me .... :wink:

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:45 am

Husky wrote:Unfortunately - nope :?. Or should I say: Not good enough. I'm asking for 315° and get 272°(or 88° instead of 90°) :wink:
Whoops - sorry, then I'm out of suggestions here, maybe Andrew or someone has an answer for us!
I must admit I didn't try it for myself first, a good lesson for me -test first then post ! :oops:
Husky wrote:Agree! Because right now I'm not really able to control this tool. But ... is it a bug, is it a feature request or is it me .... :wink:
Yes it does need something because I totally agree its not easy to use this tool when it comes to specifying an angle.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”