How do i close a file and switch to command mode

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD version 3

Moderator: andrew

How do i close a file and switch to command mode

Postby fishface » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi

I do almost everything with keyboard shortcuts.

1)I would like to be able to close the current file/drawing using a keyboard shortcut. Control W is shown on the drop down menu, but if I press control W, nothing happens. I note that if I run it from a bash terminal , it says 'Warning: QAction::eventFilter: Ambiguous shortcut overload: Ctrl+W". Does anyone have a work around for this? I am running version 3.4.5, 32 bit on Debian Wheezy.

2) I cancel commands using the shortcut 'qq', but sometimes this doesn't work because the focus is currently on an imput field like the Command line or a parameter box. I can switch back to command mode by pressing escape, but sometimes I need to press escape multiple times before I can type shortcuts like qq. Is there a shorter, faster key combination that I can use to move the focus away from any import fields so that I can immediately type the next shortcut in like qq or za?
fishface
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: How do i close a file and switch to command mode

Postby andrew » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:46 pm

fishface wrote:1)I would like to be able to close the current file/drawing using a keyboard shortcut. Control W is shown on the drop down menu, but if I press control W, nothing happens. I note that if I run it from a bash terminal , it says 'Warning: QAction::eventFilter: Ambiguous shortcut overload: Ctrl+W". Does anyone have a work around for this? I am running version 3.4.5, 32 bit on Debian Wheezy.


Thanks for your report. I will look into this.

fishface wrote:2) I cancel commands using the shortcut 'qq', but sometimes this doesn't work because the focus is currently on an imput field like the Command line or a parameter box. I can switch back to command mode by pressing escape, but sometimes I need to press escape multiple times before I can type shortcuts like qq. Is there a shorter, faster key combination that I can use to move the focus away from any import fields so that I can immediately type the next shortcut in like qq or za?


No, there is no key code to change the focus.
User avatar
andrew
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:07 am

Re: How do i close a file

Postby hungerburg » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:56 am

andrew wrote:
fishface wrote:1)I would like to be able to close the current file/drawing using a keyboard shortcut. Control W is shown on the drop down menu, but if I press control W, nothing happens. I note that if I run it from a bash terminal , it says 'Warning: QAction::eventFilter: Ambiguous shortcut overload: Ctrl+W". Does anyone have a work around for this? I am running version 3.4.5, 32 bit on Debian Wheezy.


Thanks for your report. I will look into this.


Andrew, any news on this? I see that in 3.6 on linux. Browsing through the menus, I cannot find another entry apart from "close" that would claim the CRTL-W combination, so its a miracle where the ambiguity comes from…

PS: The "window" menu item "close all" might be "CTRL-SHIFT-W"?
User avatar
hungerburg
Premier Member
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: How do i close a file and switch to command mode

Postby andrew » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:03 pm

You can patch your QCAD by saving the two attached files to their appropriate directory.
Attachments
CloseAllInit.js
Replaces scripts/Window/CloseAll/CloseAllInit.js
(390 Bytes) Downloaded 118 times
CloseFileInit.js
Replaces scripts/File/CloseFile/CloseFileInit.js
(532 Bytes) Downloaded 106 times
User avatar
andrew
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:07 am

Re: How do i close a file and switch to command mode

Postby chriddy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:21 am

andrew wrote:
fishface wrote:2) I cancel commands using the shortcut 'qq', but sometimes this doesn't work because the focus is currently on an imput field like the Command line or a parameter box. I can switch back to command mode by pressing escape, but sometimes I need to press escape multiple times before I can type shortcuts like qq. Is there a shorter, faster key combination that I can use to move the focus away from any import fields so that I can immediately type the next shortcut in like qq or za?


No, there is no key code to change the focus.


I actually have the same problem.

When drawing lines, I often enter coordinates in the command line. For the next segment, I sometimes want to use a keyboard shortcut (e.g. restrict horizontally, EH), so I need to get the focus away from the command line. Escape or the right mouse button do this, but they also restart the line command so that I cannot continue the line where I left off.

I have found that here, the middle mouse button does what I want. Still, a generic keyboard shortcut to "unfocus" the command line would be very helpful!
chriddy
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 am

Re: How do i close a file and switch to command mode

Postby chriddy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Clive wrote:then lets say you want to use the shorcut 'EH' you can still stay focussed in the command line and type in EH then press enter


Hi Clive,
thanks a lot, that never occured to me!! :oops:
chriddy
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 am


Return to QCAD 3 'How Do I' Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests