Grid - Defaults for New Drawings

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Clive

Grid - Defaults for New Drawings

Post by Clive » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 am

After all this time using QCAD, I have only just really looked at this .. and I don't seem to be able to get it working or understand it correctly.
What does it do and how do I set it up?
Grid, Defaults for new drawings.jpg
Grid, Defaults for new drawings.jpg (63.87 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Clive

Re: Grid - Defaults for New Drawings

Post by Clive » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Okay, I have worked it out. The View 1, View 2, View 3 and View 4 was confusing me. I think it should read New Drawing 1, New drawing 2 and so on...
Basically this dialog is supposed to give you options to display the grid and to display it in isometric mode if you want. It gives you 4 'new default grid' pages to set up.

However after my testing it doesn't work properly (unless I'm totally misunderstanding something here). If I set the grid to display in all the options and choose the isometric mode in all the options then no problem ... I get what I ask for.

But:

1. Set the grid to display in all 4 new drawings, but isometric in 'View 1' only - I get the isometric grid in every new drawing I create.

2. Set the grid to Display in all views (new drawings) but in View 1 do not set the grid for isometric, but instead set the isometric grid mode for all or any (it doesn't seem to matter), then I don't get any isometric grids at all :cry: .

Some might read this and think, why is he using the grid at all anyway - well I use the grid quite a lot and this is how I like it.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:03 pm

clive wrote:Okay, I have worked it out. The View 1, View 2, View 3 and View 4 was confusing me. I think it should read New Drawing 1, New drawing 2 and so on...
The four views correspond to the views as set up in Layout - Viewports.
If you have configured only one viewport as default for new drawings, only the grid settings for view 1 apply.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:12 pm

andrew wrote:The four views correspond to the views as set up in Layout - Viewports.
If you have configured only one viewport as default for new drawings, only the grid settings for view 1 apply.
Yes, at last I understand (its an age thing, my excuse :lol: ). Thanks so much.

I think it might have saved me some time to figure it out by calling them - Viewport 1, Viewport 2 etc..?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 pm

clive wrote:I think it might have saved me some time to figure it out by calling them - Viewport 1, Viewport 2 etc..?
Agreed. I've adjusted that accordingly, thanks.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:36 pm

andrew wrote:Agreed. I've adjusted that accordingly, thanks.
Great, thank you very much andrew.

As a side note, for your attention, when I set a couple of viewport options and then reverted back again to a single viewport I get extra 'floating' dialogs afterwards, is this a bug or is QCAD trying to give me more for my effort :wink: .
Extra Viewport Dialogs.jpg
Extra Viewport Dialogs.jpg (76.39 KiB) Viewed 6174 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:54 am

This looks like a bug, yes.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”