Connecting lines, copying directly to layers etc.

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

0xdeadbeef

Connecting lines, copying directly to layers etc.

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:09 am

Some more questions

1) While editing lines, it happens quite often that they are broken into several segments even though they could be simplified to one line. However I can't find an option to merge two lines into one again.
I help myself with copying the coordinates of one end point to the other line and deleting the redundant segment, but this seems awkward.
I thought converting to polyline and simplifying could help, but this keeps all the segments as well.
So is this feature really missing or did I just overlook it?

2) I still find it taxing to copy one object to a different layer while keeping its position. At the moment, I use "copy with reference point" to create a copy in an empty region with coordinates I can remember, then change the layer of the copied object and finally move it back to its originally position. While this works, it think there should be a simpler solution that I just didn't find yet. E.g. I tried to change the layer of the object after inserting the copy (while moving it around), but surprisingly, this changes the layer of the original object instead - which is confusing and can create weird results, especially if the original object was a block.

3) Is there a way to directly duplicate a layer? Again, at the moment, I help myself with the the "copy with reference position" approach, but don't think this is the most elegant way.

4) Even though I understand that the concept of layers in QCad is obviously different, I want to use layers as representation of physical height. As QCad doesn't allow to order layers manually, I help myself by naming the layers in a way that leads to a correct order (e.g. L0..., L1..., L2...). However, I also want objects in upper layers to be drawn above objects from lower layers. While it's possible to move a certain selection to front or back, I haven't yet found a convenient way to make sure that e.g. every object in layer 2 is drawn above layer 3, but below layer 1.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Connecting lines, copying directly to layers etc.

Post by andrew » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:50 am

0xdeadbeef wrote:1) While editing lines, it happens quite often that they are broken into several segments even though they could be simplified to one line. However I can't find an option to merge two lines into one again.
I help myself with copying the coordinates of one end point to the other line and deleting the redundant segment, but this seems awkward.
I thought converting to polyline and simplifying could help, but this keeps all the segments as well.
So is this feature really missing or did I just overlook it?
A feature request for this exists at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... ask_id=767
0xdeadbeef wrote:2) I still find it taxing to copy one object to a different layer while keeping its position. At the moment, I use "copy with reference point" to create a copy in an empty region with coordinates I can remember, then change the layer of the copied object and finally move it back to its originally position. While this works, it think there should be a simpler solution that I just didn't find yet.
You can use the paste option to paste the copied entity to the current layer.
0xdeadbeef wrote:E.g. I tried to change the layer of the object after inserting the copy (while moving it around), but surprisingly, this changes the layer of the original object instead - which is confusing and can create weird results, especially if the original object was a block.
The property editor always operates on the selection, not on what you are currently moving, pasting, etc.
0xdeadbeef wrote:3) Is there a way to directly duplicate a layer? Again, at the moment, I help myself with the the "copy with reference position" approach, but don't think this is the most elegant way.
A feature request for this exists at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... ask_id=579
0xdeadbeef wrote:4) Even though I understand that the concept of layers in QCad is obviously different, I want to use layers as representation of physical height. As QCad doesn't allow to order layers manually, I help myself by naming the layers in a way that leads to a correct order (e.g. L0..., L1..., L2...). However, I also want objects in upper layers to be drawn above objects from lower layers. While it's possible to move a certain selection to front or back, I haven't yet found a convenient way to make sure that e.g. every object in layer 2 is drawn above layer 3, but below layer 1.
The main problem with this are blocks references. A block reference is always displayed on the same drawing level. I.e. it is not possible that some of the block reference is displayed behind and some of it in front of another entity. Since block references can contain entities on different layers, this concept prevents a 'display by layer' option.

PS: For future posts, please try to keep multiple unrelated questions / suggestions in separate threads to prevent misunderstandings in follow-up posts. Thanks.

0xdeadbeef

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:02 pm

andrew wrote: You can use the paste option to paste the copied entity to the current layer.
Hm, yeah I seem to be missing something here. When I copy a polyline from layer A and then change to layer B and paste it, it will still be a layer A polyline.
I need to select the copy and change its layer to B. Therefore I need to copy it to a different location first to be able to select it without selecting anything else in layer A which should not be changed to layer B.
I desperately searched for any option to change the layer of the copied object before actually pasting it, but couldn't find anything yet.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:17 pm

0xdeadbeef wrote:When I copy a polyline from layer A and then change to layer B and paste it, it will still be a layer A polyline.
... unless you check "To current layer" while pasting.
Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 20.16.31.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 20.16.31.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 5985 times

0xdeadbeef

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Ah, ok. Thanks for being patient.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”