Block with attributes - how to lock text orientation

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Block with attributes - how to lock text orientation

Post by Husky » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi

If I design a Number (or what ever) Label as a block with attributes I like to insert this block with the given different options like "rotate" "flip" etc..

If I do so - the text orientation is still perfect with the "Flip vertically" option - but everything else fails for a correct Text display.

Is there any hidden trick to force the text orientation to follow the drawing rules like a dim text?

Do I need to report a bug (because flip vertically is working) or a feature request .....? :wink:
Husky-2014.09.05-01.png
Husky-2014.09.05-01.png (15.97 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Re: Block with attributes - how to lock text orientation

Post by Clive » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Husky wrote:Is there any hidden trick to force the text orientation to follow the drawing rules like a dim text?

Do I need to report a bug (because flip vertically is working) or a feature request .....? :wink:
Husky-2014.09.05-01.png
I think this is normal behaviour, there doesn't seem to be a way to 'force' the text to remain at a specified angle. The only way I've found is to use the Property Editor and change the angle to what you want!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:51 pm

Only "Flip Block vertically" keeps the 0° Angle orientation. That means this is a bug?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:56 am

Husky wrote:Only "Flip Block vertically" keeps the 0° Angle orientation. That means this is a bug?
No. Flip vertically in your example would strictly speaking produce a text that is mirrored (not correctly readable from any angle). QCAD never produces text that is mirrored. I.e. the text is always readable correctly from an angle.
To achieve this, text might be rotated by 180 degrees. In your vertical mirroring example, this produces the desired result, in your horizontal mirroring example it does not.

The solution in your example is to either produce 4 different blocks or keep text and graphics separated. For example one block with only the graphics, 4 blocks which use that block and add a label or block attribute.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:17 pm

andrew wrote:... QCAD never produces text that is mirrored. I.e. the text is always readable correctly from an angle.
Ok. That explains this behavior. Thanks!
andrew wrote:The solution in your example is to either produce 4 different blocks or keep text and graphics separated. For example one block with only the graphics, 4 blocks which use that block and add a label or block attribute.
Yes - but that are to many steps to get it done. By now you know me - I'm pretty lazy ..... 8)

Ok - my personal workaround is:
I design only 1 Block with the Text Attribute.
This Block can be insert in my drawing in all desired orientations. Rotated / flipped etc. and in this case I can put also the correct attribute/values in like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. At this moment I don't care about the correct Text orientation.
All those blocks have to be insert on a specified Layer - just for the labels.
After my labeling in the drawing is done - and I assume it looks awful - I have to lock all layer except this Label Layer or just make this Layer the only visible one (faster!).
Now I'm able to use the selection Filter:
Husky-2014.09.12-01.png
Husky-2014.09.12-01.png (11.38 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
Value is just something what isn't used. :wink:

After a successful selection I can now use the Property editor to adjust the Text Angle. Done! :D

If I work with more than one Attribute I have to put them respectively on a specific layer. On this way I have still the control (visible/invisible) which Attribute will be found by the Selection Filter Tool and which not.

Question: Would it be possible to extend the Selection Filter to find an Attribute Tag?

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”