Mark/report overlap on same layer

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

0xdeadbeef

Mark/report overlap on same layer

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:32 pm

When arranging objects/layers for laser cutting, it sometimes happens that a line/object overlaps a copy of itself on the same layer.
Currently I delete lines/objects "on suspicion" to see if something is covered underneath.

Also when editing edges etc. it sometimes happens that e.g. lines don't match exactly any more and the object has either a gap or slight overlap.
In this case I try to detect this by creating polylines.

Then again, both approaches (especially the 1st one) seem awkward and I wonder if there is some option to activate some kind of overlap warning.
Maybe it's only my way of working, but I would assume that overlap of lines (even crossing) on the same layer is usually not wanted.

Clive

Re: Mark/report overlap on same layer

Post by Clive » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:28 pm

0xdeadbeef wrote:When arranging objects/layers for laser cutting, it sometimes happens that a line/object overlaps a copy of itself on the same layer.
Currently I delete lines/objects "on suspicion" to see if something is covered underneath.
Presuming the lines or objects are exact copies of themselves and you are using QCAD Pro you can employ the use of the 'Detect Duplicates' (MD) tool, once any duplicates have been detected you can either delete them or put them on another layer if you so wish.
0xdeadbeef wrote:Also when editing edges etc. it sometimes happens that e.g. lines don't match exactly any more and the object has either a gap or slight overlap.
In this case I try to detect this by creating polylines.
This one comes down to careful drafting practice, I guess one or two lines to edit is no big deal but a hundred or so would be! There is no magic button to press for this one ...yet. Careful use of the modification toolset is required.
0xdeadbeef wrote:Then again, both approaches (especially the 1st one) seem awkward and I wonder if there is some option to activate some kind of overlap warning.
Maybe it's only my way of working, but I would assume that overlap of lines (even crossing) on the same layer is usually not wanted.
An overlap warning would be good to have, but in some instances the overlap of lines or crossing of .. may be needed, who knows, this again is really down to good careful drafting.

Out of interest what are you mainly lasercutting here? I am presuming you may be cutting and etching materials, hence the use of more than one layer?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

0xdeadbeef

Re: Mark/report overlap on same layer

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks, MD is a good hint.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”