Re scaling an existing drawing

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

thumbtac
Newbie Member

Re scaling an existing drawing

Post by thumbtac » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:59 pm

Ver 3.9.9.0
Build Mar 9 2015
Qt Ver 4.7.4
Compiler MSVC++10.0 (2010)
OS Win 8.1 64 bit

When I change the scale of a drawing, can I have the dimensions change? For example, if I have a square with the dimensions of 100mm x 100mm, when I scale it by a factor of 2, will the new drawing now show the dimensions as 200mm x 200mm? Could anyone please explain how to go about this,

Thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Re scaling an existing drawing

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:33 am

thumbtac wrote:When I change the scale of a drawing, can I have the dimensions change?
Yes!
Select the whole drawing or just a part of your drawing,
Pick the "Scale" tool,
chose a convenient reference point,
Scale dialog: Factor 2 - hit ok - done.

Note: Is in your selection a dimensioning - it will recalculate the dimension text by itself. In this case 100 will change to 200.
Dimensioning before or after you scale the drawing doesn't matter - it works either ways,
Is your dimension text for any reason "exploded" by you - the function of the dimension text isn't working anymore,
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

thumbtac
Newbie Member

Post by thumbtac » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 pm

Thank you for your help. Things work as you suggest on any drawing that I have done in QCAD, however if the drawing has been imported from another source then it does not appear to work. The selection will double in size if the selected scale factor is 2 but the dimensions remain as per the original. I have not used the explode command. I am a beginner with this program and am grateful for any assistance, I have purchased the book QCAD Introduction to CAD but it is of no help in this instance.

Regards,

thumbtac

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:28 am

thumbtac wrote:... however if the drawing has been imported from another source then it does not appear to work. The selection will double in size if the selected scale factor is 2 but the dimensions remain as per the original.
This Info was missing for my answer. :wink:

However - if the source Program is not using the same functionality (programming) as QCad for dimensioning it could / will fail. Maybe you need to replace for extern drawings the dimensioning in QCad to get the same benefit of it as expected.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”