Does anyone use QCAD svg export with Easel?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

tony92875
Registered Member

Does anyone use QCAD svg export with Easel?

Post by tony92875 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:37 am

Hello Everyone,

I just bought QCAD Pro for several reasons / uses. One of those being use with Inventables Easel app for the ShapeOko 2 CNC machine. I was wondering if anyone here has used the SVG export to use with Easel? I'm having a few issues with horizontal or vertical lines (of any kind) showing up properly in easel with an svg exported QCAD file. Are there settings I'm missing or maybe using Ink Scape as a middle man for additional processing / converting or something?

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
-Tony

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Does anyone use QCAD svg export with Easel?

Post by Husky » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:19 am

Hello Tony - welcome to the forum!

First things first - no, I have no experience with Inventables Easel. :(

But I like to ask you to give us a little more information about:
tony92875 wrote: I'm having a few issues with horizontal or vertical lines (of any kind) showing up properly in easel with an svg exported QCAD file.
What means that exactly? There are working and not working horizontal/vertical lines?

This test svg is a QCAD Pro *.svg export. You will find 4 squares 20 mm by 20 mm in the drawing. Is Inventables Easel able to read that file?
Husky-2015.08.02-01.png
Husky-2015.08.02-01.png (806 Bytes) Viewed 3987 times
Easel-Test.svg
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

tony92875
Registered Member

Post by tony92875 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Your file Imported just fine and Easel seems to recognize that there are lines ( or shapes ) in the file. Straight lines are just invisible and Easel treats them weirdly. If you drag a selection box over the area the lines are located at you can see something gets selected, but the lines themselves still aren't visible. It's really weird. Curves show up just fine, but Easel still handles their existence oddly. It's really hard to explain.

You can see what I mean, if you want, but importing your file into Easel yourself. It's a free web app @ http://easel.inventables.com. The app was created to control the ShapeOko and their new X Carve CNC machines.

I've been using Ink Scape and Illustrator for a long time and they export SVG that directly imports without an issue, but I really want to switch back to a solid CAD app for designing. That's why I just bought QCad Pro. I love the app. I just want to figure out the right recipe for exporting using SVG files :)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:43 pm

I've had good results in Easel using this approach:
- Make sure your tool paths are polylines in QCAD
- Export to SVG
- Import SVG into Easel
- Select all
- In the "Cut" tab, click the "Outline" button and choose "On Path" or whatever applies
- The path is now visible in the 2D as well as in the 3D view

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”