Inserting blocks in different layers

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

robdv57

Inserting blocks in different layers

Post by robdv57 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:56 pm

I am having trouble working with blocks on different layers (in Windows version 3.6.0.0).
Playing around with bicycle geometry. Set up layers for 61, 62, 63 cm versions of a model (along with layers for some other models). Created blocks for riser/stem and fork/front wheels since these repeat. Successfully inserted these in layer 61, but do not see the block when trying to insert them into layers 62 and 63 when the layers are individually active and visible. The blocks become visible and can be inserted when layer 61 is made visible along with 62 or 63, but it appears the blocks are being inserted in layer 61 a second or third time.
[BTW I was not able to move the blocks into the Libraries either. While I was able to create and can see a default/Bicycle folder in my old Power Desk 6 file manager, I didn't see the folder in either the Window file manager, nor QCAD (after running the Database update).]
Would appreciate any help in getting the blocks inserted into layers 62 and 63.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Inserting blocks in different layers

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Make sure that the contents of your blocks (that is the entities that make up your blocks) are on neutral layers.

If you insert a block called 'riser' on layer '62' but the lines and arcs inside block 'riser' are on layer '61' and layer '61' is invisible, nothing is shown.

Be sure to also read these post about the basics of layers and blocks:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3736
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3121

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”