[solved] Cut and paste between layers

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

robdv57

[solved] Cut and paste between layers

Post by robdv57 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:30 pm

I want to move a selection from one layer to another (I carelessly work the wrong layer all too often). I tried using 'cut with reference' from the original (erroneous) layer, then 'paste' from clipboard onto the proper layer, but the selection does not appear on the latter and reappears in the former.
The manual says: "At the right of the options toolbar there is a check box with the label To current Layer. If you tick this check box all pasted entities will be placed on the current layer rather than their original layer", which would seem to address my issue, but I don't see "to current layer" anywhere on the screen. As an occasional user, I'm not even clear which is the 'options toolbar'.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Cut and paste between layers

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi robdv57,
robdv57 wrote:... which would seem to address my issue, but I don't see "to current layer" anywhere on the screen. As an occasional user, I'm not even clear which is the 'options toolbar'.
After clicking the "Paste" tool an option bar will appear on the top of your drawing area ...
Husky-2015.12.29-01.png
Husky-2015.12.29-01.png (51.23 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
... choose your settings and it will work as expected. :wink:

BTW: Maybe you like to think about a different way to move your entities to an other layer:
Make the "Property Editor" visible,
select the entities which are on the "wrong" layer,
check the Property Editor for "General Properties" / Layer and you will see the current used Layer for this selection,
use the pull-down menu to choose the desired layer - done.

Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

robdv57

Re: Cut and paste between layers

Post by robdv57 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 pm

That was quick... thanks Husky. Tried both and both methods worked. My problem with the cut/paste was that the current layer checkbox was covered up by other menu items. Second method couldn't be easier.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”