Paper space vs. Model space

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

urbite
Registered Member

Paper space vs. Model space

Post by urbite » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:52 pm

I am using QCAD Pro, version 3.14.0.0 (3.14.0), on a Win 7 Pro system.

First, I should state that I'm not an AutoCAD user. My use for QCAD is to scale some company logos that are provided in DXF format before reading them into a PCB layout tool (PADS Layout) for inclusion on the circuit board.

My first attempt to import the DXF into PADS resulted in an error message stating that the drawing was too large. I sent the DXF file to my PCB layout guy and he was able to successfully import the DXF into PADS, but only after some modifications. Here's his response when I asked him what he had to do to successfully import the DXF file.

"...Anyway I just opened the DXF in AutoCAD scaled it to .1 the size, then moved it from the model tab to the layout1. After that I saved it as an R12 version DXF then it imported."

I tried to duplicate what he did by scaling the design by 0.1, then moving the logo to the paper space block. However, I'm still unable to import the design. Any idea how I can modify the DXF file using QCAD so that the result will be similar to what my PCB layout guy described above?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Paper space vs. Model space

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:39 pm

You might want to update to the latest QCAD version (3.14.2) first. Some applications only import the current layout which is set to a paper_space in 3.14.0.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”