Secondary cursor

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Ramos

Secondary cursor

Post by Ramos » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:10 am

I always set the background color to light gray and gridlines to darker gray. I found that with red "Snap Tools" and "Info Tools" color, everything works just fine.

The problem shows up with the secondary cursor, that is, that tiny cursor that appears for instance when using Modify/Trim - I just can't see it.

I couldn't find how to change the color and/or modify its shape. I guess it would be great if there was a tick box so this cursor could have the same appearance of the normal cursor (snap cursor).

Could someone tell me how could I do that? thanks.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Secondary cursor

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:24 am

Ramos wrote:I couldn't find how to change the color and/or modify its shape. I guess it would be great if there was a tick box so this cursor could have the same appearance of the normal cursor (snap cursor).
Below Application Preferences (Menu/Edit/Application Preferences/Graphic View/Colors) you will find a dialog to customizes the colors for QCAD.
Husky-2016.07.03-01.png
Husky-2016.07.03-01.png (53.26 KiB) Viewed 9478 times
Settings for the Cursor can be changed below Application Preferences/Graphic View/Appearance
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Ramos

Post by Ramos » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:14 am

Maybe I am missing something.

The colors menu is not changing the cursor color. I am referring to the tiny cursor that appears for instance when using the "Trim" tool, or when choosing the first corner of the "window zoom (ZW)".

Apparently this cursor is always white and can be seen only when the background is black and its shape can't be changed. If true, it just can't be seen over other clearer backgrounds, for instance light gray.

Thanks again and sorry for so many questions.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 am

I can confirm that the color of the mouse cursor cannot be adjusted. This is actually the primary cursor, the one that always immediately moves when moving the mouse.

If you are comfortable editing a PNG file, you can try editing the file scripts/CrosshairCursor.png. Note that not all platforms support colored mouse cursors, so this might or might not work.

Ramos

Post by Ramos » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:03 pm

Let's confirm that we are talking about the same cursor.

It's not the cursor with an arrow shape that usually follows the mouse movements, I am referring to a tiny cursor (at least on my display) with the shape of a magnifier - is this also the one you are referring to? it appears, for instance, in View/Zoom/Window Zoom.

thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:01 pm

QCAD uses three different primary mouse cursors:
- Arrow (provided by the operating system)
- Cross hair (scripts/CrosshairCursor(Mask).png) used to pick entities or define positions (drawing, trimming, etc.)
- Magnifying glass (scripts/View/Zoom/WindowZoom/WindowZoomCursor(Mask).png) used for View > Zoom > Window Zoom

If cursors are tiny on your system, that's likely due to using a high resolution / retina display. Mac OS X and Windows typically compensate this by scaling up the cursor, however, Linux systems might not handle this. Adjusting the above files might provide a workaround.

Ramos

Post by Ramos » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:15 am

You are right, Andrew, this is a Dell laptop with a 3840 x 2160 display running Windows 10, but I must tell you QCad is behaving wonderfully, the only minor issues being these two cursor colors - they appear small but this is not a great issue.

Not having a way in the drawing/application configuration to change their colors is a considerable limitation, pratically limiting the background to black. In my humble opinion, if possible the color/shape of those cursors should be allowed to be modified in future versions.

Anyway, I will have to learn how to edit a PNG file to try to fix this, in the case of not using a black background.

For now, thanks a lot for your help, I am really grateful.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks for the details.

I've filed a bug report about the small cursors at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1447

The problem has been fixed for the next release. A quick fix is also available in the above report (for the impatient and adventurous).

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”