[solved] Auto Dimension Label

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Ramos

[solved] Auto Dimension Label

Post by Ramos » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:43 am

How can I edit a dimension label? thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Auto Dimension Label

Post by Husky » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:30 am

Ramos wrote:How can I edit a dimension label? thanks
Hi,
I have around 20 answers of this question - which one do you need ...
... could you please explain a little bit more about what your goal is. Thanks!
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:57 am

Hi Ramos

Select the dimension label in your drawing, then in the property editor make changes in the 'Label' field.
Editing dimension labels.png
Editing dimension labels.png (16.21 KiB) Viewed 13484 times
After, press enter on the keyboard or left click in the drawing space somewhere and the dimension label will automatically change.
Editing dimension labels 2.png
Editing dimension labels 2.png (4.79 KiB) Viewed 13484 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Ramos

Post by Ramos » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:08 am

Hi Clive, thanks for replying.

The problem is that in the label field I have "auto" and I am not allowed to change the label. I didn't find where I can change this setting.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:13 am

Ramos wrote:The problem is that in the label field I have "auto" and I am not allowed to change the label. I didn't find where I can change this setting.
Ramos, you can just click in the Label field and type something different!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Ramos

Post by Ramos » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:49 pm

Clive, in the "Label" field it's written "auto" in grey, and I just can't change it and I can't modify what's in the "Measured Value" field either.
Attachments
Dimension.JPG
Dimension.JPG (61.33 KiB) Viewed 13462 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Ramos, please include your operating system, QCAD version and drawing files (if appropriate) with any report, thanks.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 pm

andrew wrote:Ramos, please include your operating system, QCAD version and drawing files (if appropriate) with any report, thanks.
@Andrew - form a previous post I see this info -Dell laptop with a 3840 x 2160 display running Windows 10

@Ramos, I am presuming you are still using QCAD on the above stated computer and operating system!

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:31 pm

Ramos, you most definitely should be able to edit a dimensions label content in QCAD.

Are these drawings you have drafted yourself in QCAD or are they from another source?

Ramos

Post by Ramos » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:41 am

Clive,

Yes, it's is a imported drawing, but this doesn't make any difference - I have attached a brand new drawing with just one dimension and I can't edit the label field either.

It's a brand new computer, i7, 64 bit, Windows 10, QCAD version 3.15.4.

thanks
Attachments
QCadDim.dxf
(146.93 KiB) Downloaded 467 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:00 am

I have no problems to change the Label ... :(
Husky-2016.08.31-01.png
Husky-2016.08.31-01.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 13436 times
Ramos wrote:Clive, in the "Label" field it's written "auto" in grey, and I just can't change it and I can't modify what's in the "Measured Value" field either.
Note: The "Measured Value" isn't changeable!

This said - just to be on the same page: If you click with the left mouse button into the Label field with the Grey written "Auto" text - you can't write anything in, correct? And there is no cursor blinking? Plain not accessible?

And the QCAD Pro version is downloaded directly from QCAD and it's a 64 bit WIN version? You haven't mixed different QCAD Versions in the same subdirectory or has changed anything in the programming, right?

I'm wondering because if I check your screenshot of the Property Manager usually the background color for the "Measured Value" and the "Block Name" is light Grey - but yours is crystal white ...

BTW: I recommend to update to the newest Version which is 3.15.5. Install this new release in an empty(!) directory - please don't use the already existing QCAD Directory! Then we will take it from there, ok?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Ramos

I think at this stage I would re-install QCAD and test again, but as Husky says install to a new different directory.

or
1.Right click the windows icon and select run
clean up 1.png
clean up 1.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 13426 times
2.Now type in %appdata% and click OK.
clean up 2.png
clean up 2.png (5.49 KiB) Viewed 13426 times
3.In the dialog window that opens, select the QCAD folder and completely delete it.
4.Now re-install QCAD, this will rebuild everything, you will need to set up your application preferences again ! now try the dimension label test again.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

riverbuoy

Post by riverbuoy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi Ramos,

Here's my two cents worth...

I downloaded your drawing and sure enough the 'Label' box shows 'Auto' in grey.
DimensionLabel-Auto.png
DimensionLabel-Auto.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 13420 times
However, I discovered you can click in the 'Label' box and type any text you want.
DimensionLabel-test.png
DimensionLabel-test.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 13420 times
The small button to the right, if clicked. will set the value back to 'Auto'. Your screenshot looks like the small button has been clicked. To save the change you need to left-click somewhere in the drawing, not clicking the small button to the right.

If this doesn't work, then Clive's advice to re-install is probably your best bet.

Hope this helps.

Regards

riverbuoy

Ramos

Post by Ramos » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:46 am

Hi Clive, Husky and Riverbuoy,

First of all, I am grateful for your help and patience.

Don't ask me why, but the fact is that I can now edit the "Label" field and I don't have the faintest idea what was preventing me to do that. I didn't reinstall the program and, to be precise, didn't do anything (that I remember). It's logical not to be able to edit the "Measured Value", but I don't know why this field is showing a white background.

I am not a beginner, I've been using 2D software for more than 10 years; just to check all doors, I asked my wife if I am showing signs of dementia and she said "not yet". Anyways, if I find out what was happening, I will post here.

By the way, I will install the new version.

thanks a lot.

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Ramos

I'm so glad things are working properly now :)
Ramos wrote: I asked my wife if I am showing signs of dementia and she said "not yet".
When I ask my wife the same question, she doesn't answer ... :lol:

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”