How do i Explode Text without changing it to an outline

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

AbbyNrml
Newbie Member

How do i Explode Text without changing it to an outline

Post by AbbyNrml » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:54 am

How do I explode a text line without it changing to an outline.
I tried hatching in a solid color but when I import it into the Benbox laser program it shows as an outline and engraves it as such.
It does follow the vectors when burning as opposed to scanning linearly across a bitmap text object.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How do i Explode Text without changing it to an outline

Post by Husky » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:33 am

AbbyNrml wrote:How do I explode a text line without it changing to an outline.
You can't. Exploding a text in QCad means reducing the text to an outline.

AbbyNrml wrote:I tried hatching in a solid color but when I import it into the Benbox laser program it shows as an outline and engraves it as such.
It does follow the vectors when burning as opposed to scanning linearly across a bitmap text object.
I don't know this Benbox laser program but isn't it possible to tell the program that you need a pocket (or Island?) and you could use the text outline as the pocket boundary?
Do you have some kind of example drawing to show us what you are trying to accomplish? Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:10 am

Hi AbbyNrml
Okay I think I'm understanding you correctly - you want to raster engrave some text, you want to keep and raster engrave the main fill/body of the text and cut around the outline -yes?
If yes, then here's a little example:
1.In QCAD set up 2 layers, one for Cut and one for Raster - Engrave. set the line weights and colours specific for what your laser program needs - usually this is something like-
Cut - line weight 0.00/0.5mm, colour Red (or whatever your laser program needs!)
Raster Engrave any line weight (0.25mm is fine),Blue (or whatever your laser program needs!).
Set up Layers.png
Set up Layers.png (3.73 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
2.Working on layer 'Cut' draw/place your text.
Working on Layer Red.png
Working on Layer Red.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
3.Still working on layer Cut, select the text and explode it.
Explode text.png
Explode text.png (6.37 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
4.keep the exploded text selected and select and change to work on layer 'Raster - Engrave'.
5.Select the Hatch tool and choose the solid fill option, hit OK and a new solid fill hatch is created on layer -Raster - Engrave.
Hatch again on  new layer.png
Hatch again on new layer.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
6.You now have control over what you need to laser cut, most laser software programs now except more than one layer at a time to work with and you can configure which layer the machine works on first. Using my example it makes sense to configure a machine to first engrave the solid fill by working in a raster mode first (working from left to right much like an inkjet printer) and then automatically switching to the cut layer to finish the final cut out around the outline of the text shapes (working in vector mode).
Cut Outline.png
Cut Outline.png (7.84 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
Solid fill layer.png
Solid fill layer.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
7.If you can send more than one layer at a time to the laser machine, then of course keep both layers visible. If the laser software (particularly on older machines) will not accept more than one layer, then send the solid fill layer first and then the cut layer afterwards.

Hope this helps :)
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

AbbyNrml
Newbie Member

Post by AbbyNrml » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:20 am

Thanks for the info. I worked my way through it a few times to make sure I was doing it right. Each time I saved it as .dxf file then imported it into Benbox laser engraver software that we use with the DIY lasers off Banggood.com or gearbest.com.
It seems the the software only brings in the outline portion. I tried several scenarios with the layers hidden or deleted or moved around the hatch layer above the cut layer and vice versa. Nothing helped.
The above image is typed into Benbox's Text tool. It then scans across the text and turns the laser on and off accordingly. The outline text is to faint to read.
Attachments
Qcad Text Examples (640x495).jpg
What I want vs What I get
Qcad Text Examples (640x495).jpg (202.19 KiB) Viewed 7020 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:17 am

AbbyNrml wrote:Each time I saved it as .dxf file then imported it into Benbox laser engraver software that we use with the DIY lasers off Banggood.com or gearbest.com.
I'm just fishing in muddy water ... :(

Ok, here a few questions:
Has this Benbox laser engraver proper worked with other dxf files before you tried to feed him with a QCad drawing? If yes, could you attache one of those working dxf's?
This engraver - can he understand a R27 dxf standard or needs this software older standards like R15? If you don't know it save (Save as) in QCAD a drawing regarding to this standard and try it with your engraver.
Husky-2016.09.05-01.png
Husky-2016.09.05-01.png (81.33 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:55 am

Hi AbbyNrml
It seems that the benbox software has limitations. I noticed after a quick search that there is a benbox forum, I think it would be wise to ask questions on there also.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”