Help did I just delete my session by mistake?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jkohler85

Help did I just delete my session by mistake?

Post by jkohler85 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:07 am

Help!

I just spent about an hour on a drawing.

I double clicked a dimension and all of a sudden I was looking only at the dimension and the rest of the drawing was gone. I believed Q-Cad had jumped it into a new session marked untitled so I hit the x, and it asked if I wanted to save. I said no.

My work is now all gone. Apparently I was working in an untitled session and had not officially saved (thought I was working within one I had open).

Any hope of recovery? I don't see any autosave for an untitled .DWG or .DXF on my laptop.

This is devastating and not the only save issue I have had with the program as of late.

Josh

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Help did I just delete my session by mistake?

Post by Husky » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:32 am

Hello Josh - welcome to the forum
jkohler85 wrote:Help!

I double clicked a dimension and all of a sudden I was looking only at the dimension and the rest of the drawing was gone.
A double click in Qcad on a QCad dimension would not cause an effect like that.
Question: Was this drawing from an other source? If yes could it be that the dimension was a block?

jkohler85 wrote:I believed Q-Cad had jumped it into a new session marked untitled so I hit the x, and it asked if I wanted to save. I said no.
QCad will never start a new session on it own.
jkohler85 wrote:Any hope of recovery? I don't see any Autosave for an untitled .DWG or .DXF on my laptop.
Was your QCad Autosave enabled? If yes QCad will also Autosave an Untitled drawing. It will save this file as "~Untitled_1.dxf" in the same directory where the "QCAD3.ini" is stored.
I don't know your OS - look for this file below something like "AppData\Roaming\QCAD".

BUT if QCad has ask you "Save or not save" and your decision was "not save" then this Autosave file will already be deleted by QCad!

Good luck!
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

jkohler85

Post by jkohler85 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the response.

It just happened again.

This time around I immediately saved the session on creating it and re-did the work I had done, which honestly went quickly the second time around.

However this time I got pretty decently far in and double clicked an element and EVERYTHING disappeared except that element. In both cases it was a Text File with a Circle around it indicating the elevation of a platform. I hit undo, nothing came back. I went through the layers turning them on and off, nothing. Zoomed far out to see if it had simply been moved or shrunk, nothing.

This seems like an INSANE design flaw. Now in this case I was able to quit, not save changes, and at least go back to the state of having the first plate of my drawing intact, however I did lose the 15 minutes of additional work I had done.

What am I doing, and what is happening, and why can't it be undone?

Thanks!

jkohler85

Post by jkohler85 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi,

I did a screen grab of what happens (it just happened again) can anyone explain what is going on?

Thanks!

Josh
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 2.48.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 2.48.59 PM.png (146.47 KiB) Viewed 5604 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi Josh,

1. let me ask you again: Is this drawing from an other source than QCAD or is it completely new done with QCad?

2. your screenshot shows me the "Print preview". You are working on your drawing in the Print preview?

3. Could you please attache this troublemaking drawing or at least an example drawing what shows the same behavior?

Edit:
jkohler85 wrote:In both cases it was a Text File with a Circle around it indicating the elevation of a platform. I hit undo, nothing came back.
4. Is this "Circle/Text" a Block?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

jkohler85

Post by jkohler85 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:08 am

Hi,

Sorry for not answering this the first time.

1. The file was a .DWG exported from .VWX. I then created a new QCAD Session and was copying and pasting over elements from the converted file.

2. Yes I was working on it in Print Preview because I like having the blank spacing in the background, but I also turned Print Preview off to see if that affected anything and it did not appear to.

3. I will attach it sure!

4. I am not sure if they are a block, they may be.

I also understand this could be an unintentional user error, or something I do not understand about the program. I've been using it for a few years but mostly to create my own drawings, and this is my first experience with an issue like this. However, it has not happened in the past when I have done similar types of copying and pasting.

I am attaching the files but please note once I completed the work I deleted the copy and pasted piece from the session to prevent this from happening again, so I am also attaching the file I am pulling from that has been causing these anomalies.

Thanks very much for the feedback and support!

Josh
Attachments
FFAQ Shop Drawings With Risers.dxf
(385.02 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Last edited by jkohler85 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jkohler85

Post by jkohler85 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:09 am

And the source file.
Attachments
FFAQ-Josh.dwg
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 274 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:20 am

Hi Josh - thanks for the drawings. Now we are on the same page ...
jkohler85 wrote:Yes I was working on it in Print Preview because I like having the blank spacing in the background, but I also turned Print Preview off to see if that affected anything and it did not appear to.
You are right - that doesn't matter. BTW: If you like to change the Background color for the working space just look below:
Edit / Application Preferences / Graphic View / Colors

Back to your problem:
The troublemaking Circle/Text is a Block. What means it is not really troublemaking - it just behaves differently. :wink:
Here you will find a short explanation regarding Blocks:

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/doc/qcad/2.2/ ... r04.html#4

After this short explanation you will understand the purpose of a Block. One of the nice things about a block is - you can edit a block. There are different ways to switch to the block edit modus - one of them is a double click on the Block in your drawing (if enabled in the Application Preferences). That is what happened to you!
In this Block edit modus you will only see this block - nothing else from your drawing. Just think the drawing is behind the Block window. Now you can change this block and after closing the edit modus all blocks regarding to this one in your drawing will be replaced by the changed block.

Maybe it helps you to launch and see the "Block List". Just launch it below Menu / View / Block List

It looks like this one:
Husky-2016.09.11-02.png
Husky-2016.09.11-02.png (12.3 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
There are different ways to terminate this edit modus - one of them is to use the "X" (undo will not exit the edit Modus!) in the Button row of the Block List ...
Husky-2016.09.11-03.png
Husky-2016.09.11-03.png (19.2 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
... and you are back to your drawing.

If you don't need this function anymore of this Block in your drawing - select this Block in your drawing and use the "Explode" tool. This will destroy the block function!

Hope this brief explanation will bring you back on track. :wink:

jkohler85

Post by jkohler85 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 pm

THANK YOU

That explains it, I was so very very confused.

Much appreciated, totally my mistake. That's why you always save!!!!

Josh

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:10 pm

jkohler85 wrote:THANK YOU
You are welcome!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”