work out which layer contains a given block

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

davidjmcq
Newbie Member

work out which layer contains a given block

Post by davidjmcq » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:03 am

I've inherited a drawing with nonsense block and layer names !!!
The blocks have names which are over 100 consecutive meaningless numbers and the layers have equally meaningless names.

I can go through the blocks/layers and hide/view them, but that will take hours. I can also insert blocks into a blank space on the drawing to try to figure out what they are - that will take hours too.

Is there a way to figure out which block occurs in which layer or some other useful way to identify what is going on?

Forgive me if I''ve missed something I should know. This is only my third drawing with any CAD software.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: work out which layer contains a given block

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi davidjmcq,
davidjmcq wrote:I've inherited a drawing with nonsense block and layer names !!!
The blocks have names which are over 100 consecutive meaningless numbers and the layers have equally meaningless names.
Unfortunately there is no magical tool in QCAD which prevents you to deal with a drawing like that one. However - there are also CAD Programs out there which like to use blocks for everything - useful or not. Maybe this is one of them ....

First thing - before you try to clean anything in this drawing make a copy and work only on this copy. In the case that something went wrong you can go back to the original drawing.

Then I would use the "Purge unused Layers and Blocks" tool. This tool will check all existing layers and blocks - if they are empty or unused - they will be deleted by this tool.
You can launch this tool below Menu / Misc / Modify
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”