Threshold for line segments from exploding spline in arcs.

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

CVH
Premier Member

Threshold for line segments from exploding spline in arcs.

Post by CVH » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:48 am

Splines are said to be exploded (XP) in tangentially connected arcs.
Where the curvature is not so pronounced XP may include line segments in the resulting polyline.

I agree that this is again related to short arcs and/or small radii but that statement won't hold here.
I can fool this a bit with a tighter approximation tolerance resulting in many more and shorter/flatter arc segments.
Even then I might get some line segments and thus corners as these are not tangentially connected.
Fewer line segments, that's true, but certainly a large number of short segments with negative consequences in a later stage.

The whole basic idea was a less tighter tolerance to avoid the so called 'small arcs'.

Example at hand (tolerance = 0.05):
  • Line segment length: 0.09269668
    Estimated arc segment:
    Radius: 2.29026748
    Sweep: 2.31915755°
    Bulge: 0.01011958
    Sagitta: 0.21833748 (9.5% of R)
  • Adjacent arc segment chord length: 0.04545307
    Radius: 2.04767242
    Sweep: 1.27184527°
    Bulge: 0.00554953
    Sagitta: 0.24418725 (11.9% of R)
In any aspect the adjacent arc segment is smaller and shorter than the segment that was returned as straight.
True, based on estimations the first listed segment was probably a fraction 'flatter'.

What is the determination method and threshold value for returning line segments instead of tangentially connected arcs?
Bottom line: Can it be forced to explode splines in polyline including nothing else then arc shapes?

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”