Picutre import hides drawing lines

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Feidhlim

Picutre import hides drawing lines

Post by Feidhlim » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:14 am

Hi, I"m new to the forum, but not to QCAD.
I have recently upgraded from an old QCAD version to version 6.5.2 and am encountering some difficulties with it that weren't a problem before.
OS is Mac OS, version 14.1.2.

My question is similar to here: https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?t=7769 but subtly different, so apologies if this new post is in the wrong place.

When I import a bitmap image and then start to trace it I generate a new CAD drawing over the buildings, roads etc from my photograph/bitmap. However when I click off the main lines and then hover over the bitmap, all my lines disappear each time the cursor puts attention on the main bitmap. This makes it difficult to work over my photograph layer. This wasn't an issue with my previous QCAD version and is quite frustrating.

I'd be really grateful for any help,

Thanks

Féidhlim
Attachments
QCAD Question A.dwg
(48.84 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Picutre import hides drawing lines

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:19 am

The reason:

QCAD displays the currently highlighted entity that is nearest to the mouse cursor in front, so you cannot accidentally select something you cannot see. This has not changed in recent versions.

The solution:

Put the image on a separate layer and lock that layer, making the bitmap not selectable.
You might also want to change the fade property of the image to make it a bit transparent which works well for tracing.

Feidhlim

Post by Feidhlim » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:31 am

Many thanks Andrew, that was a really quick reply!

I was using Version 4.8.6 before and it didn't do that. For some reason that version highlights lines, but not the bitmap imports, which makes for much easier drawing over existing images.

Your method works; thank you for that work around - but it's still clunkier than the previous QCAD version that I was using before.

Any possibility to revert to the older feature?

Thanks,

Féidhlim

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:04 pm

You can disable highlighting of entities completely under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics View > Behavior > Highlight entity within range (untick)

The behaviour is desired when working with overlapping bitmaps. A separate preference might be added for bitmaps.

Feidhlim

Post by Feidhlim » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:46 pm

Thanks for that. I still preferred the older version of QCAD in that instance where bitmaps weren't highlighted by hovering over them at all, making overlain lines easier to read during work.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:55 pm

QCAD 3.29.4 is now available which has a new preference for this (images are not raised by default).

I would still strongly recommend to put background images on a locked layer for tracing to prevent accidental selection or modification.

Feidhlim

Post by Feidhlim » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 am

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated. :-)

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”