Cant save all blocks

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Beetroot
Registered Member

Cant save all blocks

Post by Beetroot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 am

QCAD 3.05.0.0 Professional on Windows 7 64 bit OS

Hello,

I have just purchased and installed the software, I am new to it and generally a bit rusty with CAD so forgive me if I have missed anything obvious.

I have a drawing in *.dwg format from a supplier (don't know what package was used to generated it)

I can open the drawing, there are a number of blocks in the list, I can see the parts, add entities all fine. but....

when I come to save the drawing (with or without modification) I loose a number (not all) of the blocks.

I have tried saving as several different formats, cutting and pasting everything into a new drawing and saving that in default format but nothing works.

I have been using QCAD community edition version 2.05.0 on an Ubuntu Linux VM and it seems to work fine with the same *.dwg file.

If I load a saved file from older Linux version into new version the same blocks are missing. (I load the same file back into linux version and the blocks are all there??)

Thank you for any help,

Grant

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Cant save all blocks

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:20 am

Blocks starting with an asterisk (*) are generally internal blocks. Not all such blocks can be saved / loaded.
One way to work around the problem is to rename these blocks to non-internal block names using our add-on 'ExFixBlockNames':
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/qcad-add-ons

Beetroot
Registered Member

Re: Cant save all blocks

Post by Beetroot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you Andrew

Sounds right (the mission ones are indeed prepended with asterisk )I will try that.

Best regards,
Grant

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”