Disfigured Objects from Importing

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Adam Jenson
Newbie Member

Disfigured Objects from Importing

Post by Adam Jenson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Good Morning.

We are replacing AutoCAD IV with QCAD. The dwg files are compitable and work well with QCAD except for one issue. All objects imported successfully from AutoCAD to QCAD except one, and that is a 66" ROUND W/ 10 CHAIRS (will attach image and circle the disfigured object red). There are a little over a hundred DWG files that they constantly have worked with for years and use the same DWG files now. They all contain the same objects, so this specific Image imports incorrectly and is disfigured on all of the dwg files. Is there a fix around this and can someone explain why this object is importing incorrectly to QCAD? Thank You.
Attachments
Disfigured Object.PNG
AutoCAD IV Imported file
Disfigured Object.PNG (26.16 KiB) Viewed 10680 times

Adam Jenson
Newbie Member

Re: Disfigured Objects from Importing

Post by Adam Jenson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Also I forgot to mention the version and OS. The QCAD Version I am using is QCAD 3.3.4. The Operating Systems this has been tested on are Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows XP. All have the same issue.

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Adam, curious problem you have encountered here. Is it possible to attach an example DWG file of this issue here on the forum for testing?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Adam Jenson
Newbie Member

Post by Adam Jenson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm

I have attached 3 of them.
Attachments
Test3.dwg
(475.12 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Test2.dwg
(481.12 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
test1.dwg
(652.39 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi Adam
Well, this does seem to be an issue with QCAD as I can successfully open your files with other CAD software without corruptions to the block in question. I'm not sure whether the problem may be QT related or not but I think this is one for Andrew to investigate further!
I have managed to explode the block (in other program) and open it up again in QCAD without problems and created a fresh new block again which you are welcome to use. You can add it to the QCAD library and insert it when you need it.

*I guess the other thing you could do (but it would be a nuisance to do every time) would be to first explode the block in AutoCAD, save then open up in QCAD ??
Round table and ten chairs.dwg
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
Table and chairs.png
Table and chairs.png (3.26 KiB) Viewed 10473 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:10 pm

clive wrote:*I guess the other thing you could do (but it would be a nuisance to do every time) would be to first explode the block in AutoCAD, save then open up in QCAD ??
Just a note:
You could just delete Block 66 (thats the "Bad boy" Block :wink: ) and insert it (unchanged!) again from your Block-list. It will work.
Funny is the Reference point for this block 66 - not like all other blocks in your drawing ... but maybe there is a reason for that.

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:09 pm

Here's a little workaround that may help.

1. Double click 66 in the Block list.
Block pic 1.png
Block pic 1.png (12.07 KiB) Viewed 10453 times
2. Block 66 will open up in it's own drawing space, from here select the block and go to Main menu > Modify and Explode the block (do this twice or as many times as needed!). This will break the blocks down to individual entities, shown in the property editor.
Block pic 2.png
Block pic 2.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 10453 times
3. Now either from the CAD tools or from Main Menu > Block > create a new block from selection (B,C).
Block pic 3.png
Block pic 3.png (12.92 KiB) Viewed 10453 times
4. Follow the prompts and name the block, choose something different (my example - 66 Table and Chairs).
Block pic 4.png
Block pic 4.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 10453 times
5.In the Block list 'double click' Model space to return to the main drawing.
Block pic 5.png
Block pic 5.png (11.26 KiB) Viewed 10453 times
6. 'Tada', the blocks have now been updated. Make sure to re-save the file.
Block pic 6.png
Block pic 6.png (26.04 KiB) Viewed 10453 times

Adam Jenson
Newbie Member

Post by Adam Jenson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Thank you for getting back to me. I will follow your instructions on Monday for the work around and will post my results.

khad
Newbie Member

Post by khad » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:39 am

Looks like a small glitch with nested mirrored blocks (x-scale = -1):
if the mirrored block insertion contains nested insertions, only their base points are mirrored, while the insertions themselves keep their scale.
Should be easy to fix, I guess...

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 pm

khad wrote:Looks like a small glitch with nested mirrored blocks (x-scale = -1):
if the mirrored block insertion contains nested insertions, only their base points are mirrored, while the insertions themselves keep their scale.
Should be easy to fix, I guess...
Thanks for the feedback Khad, I'm sure you're right here, my brain just doesn't know such clever things as this - I'm just an average CAD user who tries to help where he can, I'm more of a 'trial and test it kind of guy' :lol: :lol: . Please feel free to have more input like this on the forum - it's most welcome Khad.

khad
Newbie Member

Post by khad » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 am

Hi clive,
thanks for the flowers, but this has nothing to do with cleverness, just with a lengthy experience with AutoCAD and its followers.
Your workaround instructions were completely valid, I would have done the same - this block needed rebuilding anyway (because of the ill placed basepoint and unevenly scaled sub-blocks).
I'll try to contribute to qcad where I can, but I have to admit I'm kinda struggling with some of its concepts - I'll post a comprehensive summary of my impressions sometime soon (need to find the time to do some more testing).

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”