3.6.4 pro: Saving multiple .dwg-s

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Learnincurve

3.6.4 pro: Saving multiple .dwg-s

Post by Learnincurve » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:55 am

Hi,

When two or more files are open simultaneoulsy, saving, then closing one can cause the name of one of the other files to change. A save of this then overwrites the correct file causing it to be lost if no backup available.

I have only tried this with dwg's as I am working in that format.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: 3.6.4 pro: Saving multiple .dwg-s

Post by andrew » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks for your report.

Please indicate the exact platform (operating system, distribution, version) you are using when reporting problems. Thanks.

Learnincurve

Post by Learnincurve » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:41 am

Linux. Problem observed on Debian sid 64 bit, kernel 3.16, KDE 4.14. and ubuntu 14.04 32 bit fully updated.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks. I briefly tried to reproduce this problem without any success so far.
Is there a specific procedure you can follow to reproduce the problem?
Also, how does the problem present itself? Do the drawing file names on the document tabs change?
Thanks again.

Learnincurve

Post by Learnincurve » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:41 am

FYI: The session timeout on this page is very short. Frustrating when logged out when trying to submit a reply.

I'm sorry that I haven't spent time trying to reproduce this problem as time is something I have too little of at the moment.

I can try to describe the workflow that produced it.

I am working on a set of drawings of my house and have often had multiple plans and elevations open simultaneously to compare dimensions and update them simultaneously.

I suspect that I might have had pending updates to more than one drawing between saves and that this has something to do with the problem.

A couple of times I came back to my drawings and opened one file to find the content of another but suspected user error (mine). Luckily I keep the files in Dropbox and could recover a previous version.

Then, one day I was working on two plans when, after closing the one, I noticed that the other tab had become renamed to the one I had just closed. I can't remember whether I saved or not before closing but suspect that I had updates in both and had saved.

I have now updated to 3.7.0 and have not noticed the problem more recently (maybe because I am not working so actively on multiple tabbed drawings any more, maybe because I am careful to save any changes to one tab before making any on another.

I am sorry not to give you more helpful feedback.

best regards

Marius

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”