Blocks disappear when zoom in

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Pete Mills
Registered Member

Blocks disappear when zoom in

Post by Pete Mills » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:45 am

Hi All,

First of all thanks for a great piece of software. I am using version 3.7.0.0 for hobby stuff and am having an issue with blocks disappearing when I zoom in. This has happened on a number of drawings and seems to be when I have saved and the re-opened the file.

For example I may add several blocks of the same type to the drawing and next time I open the file to work on, when I zoom in only some of them are there. The blocks are the same, added at the same time and on the same layer.

If I print out the blocks are there ok, so I am assuming it is just the view I am seeing?

I have had a search through the forum but can't find any answers. Any ideas?

Thanks, Pete

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Blocks disappear when zoom in

Post by andrew » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks for your report.
Please mention your operating system and version thereof in all reports.
Please attach the drawing or e-mail it to info at qcad dot org for testing.
Thanks.

Richard
Newbie Member

Post by Richard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:24 am

I have a very similar problem. This happens when I save a dxf file on one computer and open it up on another.
Version on both computers is 3.7.5.
OS is is the same on both as well Ubuntu 10.04.
Computer # 1 in an HP laptop Pavilion 32 bit, the other in a standard tower 64-bit
In addition to the blocks disappearing when you zoom in, they can not be selected. Hence nothing can be done with them when they are visible.
The blocks and the smaller blocks within can be made invisible in the block list but that's all.
New blocks can be created from the same blocks in the list and they are fine.
The only work around I found that worked is editing the block in the block list, then it comes back to life.
This would would be a pain with a large number of blocks
???

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:09 am

Thanks for your report.
Please attach the drawing or e-mail it to info at qcad dot org for testing.
Thanks.

Richard
Newbie Member

Post by Richard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:22 pm

This is the file. The small wall was added later and is fine. The 3 larger ones are the problem.
Attachments
walls-test.dxf
(41.2 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

Richard
Newbie Member

Post by Richard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 pm

My original post should be corrected. I said I had found a work around. This is not the case. After opening the blocks for editing, they did become alive again. But saving the file and re-opening it gave the same results, disappearing when zooming and unable to select. Another bit of information. The file is fine in older versions of Qcad, the problem exist in vers 3.7.5 only

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks for the file and info.

After just a quick test, I couldn't reproduce the problem here with QCAD 3.7.5 or 3.7.7.

Would this be the correct procedure to reproduce on your system?
- Open file
- Save file
- Open file again
- Select one of the walls (does not work?)

Richard
Newbie Member

Post by Richard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Here is what I did
Open file, (original problem),
Open the block for editing, did not edit just returned to drawing, everything is fine.
Save file as original or with new file name, Open either file again and problem re-appears again.
Downloaded Windows version 3.7.7 and installed on a third computer that is running XP. Every thing is fine there with that file.

I think I know what is happening. The 3 large wall which were inserted at different times as separate blocks have become one combined block. I was trying to select each wall with a mouse. Selecting "all" from the menu allows me to do work with them, move, rotate... But when I save and open again, same problem. The only way to unlock this block is to explode it or delete it

One other thing. The original file was created with Ubuntu 14.04 which I dumped because of Unity. At that time it worked on 14.04 but not on the computer running 10.14

I would like to know what system Pete Mills is using since he had the same problem.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”