Block references and layers

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Sazhen86

Block references and layers

Post by Sazhen86 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:27 am

Running QCAD 3.7.1 on OS X 10.10.1.

I have a drawing in which I have inserted several block references, some from library objects that I created and some local to the drawing. I created everything on layer 0 initially and selected several entities and moved them to different layers.

The items that aren't block references and on their own layer and are coloured as I would expect with the layer colour. They also disappear when I hide the layer. The block references from the library that I moved to their own layer aren't coloured in that layer's colour. Hiding their own layer hides the objects, but they also disappear when hiding layer 0.

The object that is a local block reference was moved the to same layer as the other block references but appears in the layer colour of the objects that aren't block references and goes away when I hide that layer.

I'm completely confused. How are block references and layers supposed to work?

Regards
Rick

Sazhen86

Re: Block references and layers

Post by Sazhen86 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:32 am

Here's the drawing I am having trouble with. Hope it helps explain what I am doing wrong.
Attachments
House.dxf
(130.67 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:42 am

Please note that entities inside a block are also on their own layer. This is potentially confusing but an extremely powerful and important concept.

You can find a more detailed explanation of the relationship between blocks and layers in our FAQ at:
http://qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/faq#q26

The color / block / layer issue has been discussed here before:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2591

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:25 am

Since this question comes up a lot, I tried to illustrate the relationship between blocks, layers and colors (and other attributes):
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3121

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:42 am

andrew wrote:Since this question comes up a lot, I tried to illustrate the relationship between blocks, layers and colors (and other attributes).
Excellent example Andrew :wink:

Understanding Blocks takes a bit of getting used to,I think you should put this example in the Manual - or at least on the Blog so it doesn't get lost here on the forum.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:53 am

I moved it to the Tips and Tutorials section for now:

Sazhen86

Post by Sazhen86 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the excellent explanation, it makes a lot more sense now and I have organised my drawing appropriately.

Cheers
Rick

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:53 am

andrew wrote:I moved it to the Tips and Tutorials section for now:
Thanks Andrew :D .
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”