printing points

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Frank60

printing points

Post by Frank60 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:36 am

Hi,

I have a drawing with a few points mainly to indicate the center of a circle. Drawing and application preferences are mode 2 (a plus sign) and size -10.
Now I can't seem to print the plus signs! It always reverts to a dot, whatever the drawing and application settings.
Any help?

Also: on opening older drawings, the drawing preferences show mode 2 and size -10, but the points are displayed as dots.
capture_02082015_074031.jpg
point display
capture_02082015_074031.jpg (71.23 KiB) Viewed 10190 times

Windows 7 QCAD Pro 3.8.1

Thanks,

Frank

andrew
Site Admin

Re: printing points

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Frank60 wrote:Now I can't seem to print the plus signs!
I can confirm that printing points at these various shapes is currently not supported.
Frank60 wrote:Also: on opening older drawings, the drawing preferences show mode 2 and size -10, but the points are displayed as dots.
A negative point size is not supported by QCAD at this point. I think the idea of negative values would be to use a percentage of the viewport in that case.

Frank60

Post by Frank60 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2865&p=9852&hilit= ... lay#p10073

Pity, I need these to transfer designs to paper and then to wood, using the points as centers for handdrilling.

I would appreciate if you were able to fix this.

Frank60

Post by Frank60 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:14 pm

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rsforum/viewt ... =5870#5870[/url]

It looks like this is a very old bug that has not been dealt with.

I would appreciate fixing this bug.

Thanks.

Frank.

Frank60

Post by Frank60 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Am I right to conclude that Andrew is not going to fix this bug?

riverbuoy

Post by riverbuoy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi Frank60

I thought I should point out a couple of points.

Firstly, this feature was not added by Andrew. I wrote the changes and sent them to Andrew with the idea of adding them to QCAD. Andrew obviously thought this was a good idea.
Secondly, printing the points as they appear on screen is not supported, it is not a bug. This is because the point display is tied to the physical size of the pixels on screen. Trying to transfer this to the paper size, and scale, is not practical. Also the setting applies to every point in the drawing, not just a few selected points.

To indicate the center of a few circles, I would suggest using the 'Misc->Draw->Centerline Cross' command (shortcut C,S). This allows you to set the size and angle of the center line and then you just select the circles,arcs or ellipses you wish to show. (This command doesn't need points at the center.)

I hope this clarifies the situation.

riverbuoy

jby601

Post by jby601 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:24 am

I too would like to see this resolved. Comparing the picture on my screen with a printed drawing, would it not be possible to use proportional units on the paper? On my 22" monitor, 1920 pixels occupies 476mm or 4.03 pixels per mm. "10 pixel" point crosses on the screen have a width of ~ 2.5mm. If I zoom my drawing (in model space) so that it has the 1:1 appearance of being on a piece of paper, I judge that the points would be visible when printed. So, at least for monitors similar to mine, a "pixel" as applied to a point size could correspond to 0.25mm on the paper.

If scaling is the problem then I suggest the addition to the menu Drawing Preferences > General > Point Display of an edit box to the right of the present "Size (pixel)" with wording something like "Size when printed (mm)" or "Size when printed (inch)" Units of measurement could be in line with whatever is chosen under Drawing Preferences > General > Drawing Unit.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”