DWG Import, SVG Export, flip horizontally and resized

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

hkubota
Registered Member

DWG Import, SVG Export, flip horizontally and resized

Post by hkubota » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:40 am

Hi,

I do a bit of technical drawing. For my hobby, so it's really just a bit. I liked the interface of AutoCAD, so I used AutoCAD 360/AutoCAD WS, but it has many limitations. So I found QCAD which seems to fit my bill.
However I get in trouble really soon: I import a DWG I exported via AutoCAD 360, which works exceptionally well. All sizes are right, layers are here. Life is good.
I save as SVG and open up the SVG file and all is wrong: everything is horizontally flipped, and size is off by a factor of 3.5433. I can flip it and resize, but that's rather inconvenient and unexpected behaviour.
DXF export from AutoCAD 360, load in QCAD and save/load works.

So the rather simple basic question is:
Does export to SVG not work? Does import not work?

I don't think I can/should file a bug already as I am very unsure if the problem is not between chair and monitor...

Here my current version:
Versions
QCAD version: 3.8.1.0
Date: Feb 6 2015
Qt version: 4.7.4
Compiler version: MSVC++ 10.0 (2010)
OS version: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 (operating system version 6.1)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: DWG Import, SVG Export, flip horizontally and resized

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:48 am

If you are using QCAD to load the SVG, please note that SVG import in QCAD is very limited.

SVG should NOT be used as primary format to store your drawings. SVG will not store information about your dimensions, hatches, etc.
To save your drawings, always use DXF or DWG to store and recall all information correctly.

QCAD SVG export can be used for further processing of the SVG file for example in Inkscape or through XSL-FO, etc.

QCAD SVG import can be used to import the basic geometry of data only available only as SVG. Transformations are not imported, this is a known limitation.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”