some tools do not complete action

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

J-J

some tools do not complete action

Post by J-J » Tue May 26, 2015 1:28 pm

I am running the latest release 3.9.3 on Win7-64. On the last releases, I have noticed that some tools (move, mirror, rotate) do not finish the action after the dialog window has been closed, QCAD hangs until another left mouse click is performed. It did not use to be that way before. Is that on purpose or is it another Windows trick?
JJ Win7 pro-64

andrew
Site Admin

Re: some tools do not complete action

Post by andrew » Tue May 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks for your report.

I'm unable to reproduce that here on any platform.
What exactly does is mean that is 'hangs':
- In that condition (after clicking OK in the dialog), is the tool icon still shown at the top left?
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 15.13.09.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 15.13.09.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 8905 times
- What can you not do in that condition (panning, selecting another menu or tool, etc)?

Thanks for any details you can provide.

J-J

Post by J-J » Tue May 26, 2015 6:49 pm

I tried this:
select an entity, click "move" and then click the "ok" in the dialog box.
result is on the screen shot, the tool remains selected and stays so as long as I keep the mouse within the working screen, including the window tab,layer list, block list tabs etc. as soon as I hover the mouse on the tool bar, the the operation completes within a fraction of a second, I do not need to click another tool, same as when left clicking in the drawing space... e_confused
Attachments
qcad hangs on move tool.jpg
qcad hangs on move tool.jpg (108.06 KiB) Viewed 8899 times
JJ Win7 pro-64

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Can you check if the latest release 3.9.4 still has the problem? I wasn't able to reproduce this here on various Windows installations, but there are some changes that might influence that behaviour. Thanks.

J-J

Post by J-J » Thu May 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Installed 3.9.4
It still acts on some drawings, I checked a couple others that seem OK...
try to play with this one (dwg attached) that still shows the problem; tough when it does not appear consistent! Keyboard not active either.
Attachments
plaques carlingues.dwg
(41.94 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
qcad hangs on move tool.jpg
qcad hangs on move tool.jpg (91.91 KiB) Viewed 8873 times
JJ Win7 pro-64

wombat
Newbie Member

Post by wombat » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:26 pm

I basically have the same problem as described by J-J for "some tools do not complete action".

I am using Windows 8 (64-bit) with QCAD Professional 3.9.4.

Here is what I did as a test:

a) Start QCAD and create some point-to-point straight lines (3 for this test, forming a triangle) in the default (Untitled 1) drawing.
b) Select two lines, use Move-Copy to move a copy to a different position, identify the source and destination points, and select 'Keep original' for the Number of Copies option.
c) The two originally selected lines remain selected, as do the copies (now located at the destination).
This condition persists for a long time (about one minute).
d) Repeat [b)], but in addition, click the Select tab and choose the Deselect All option; all currently selected lines are immediately de-selected.
e) Create a new drawing (Untitled 2) by clicking the File tab and clicking the New option; the original drawing (Untitled 1) remains open.
f) In Untitled 1, select and copy two lines and paste these lines into Untiltled 2.
g) In Untltled 2, repeat [b)], but in addition, click the tab for Untitled 1, then immediately return to Untitled 2.
The new source lines in Untitled 2 (as copied from Untitled 1) are no longer selected, but the 'moved' lines initially remain selected.
Click a blank area in Untitled 2, and the 'moved' lines are immediately de-selected; there is no delay.

wombat
Newbie Member

Post by wombat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:36 pm

After completing the tests described above (June 7th), the next time that I started QCAD I was advised that a backup copy of my test file existed. (QCAD did not 'crash' during my tests, so I am not sure why a backup file was created.) Anyway, QCAD offered me the choice of using the backup file or deleting it and I chose to delete it. After doing this, I again started to investigate the problem. However, I immediately noticed that the 'problem' that I was trying to investigate no longer existed; it appears that by allowing QCAD to delete the backup file, the (apparent) problem was removed. Ever since, QCAD has functioned normally.

One other thing that I forgot to mention in my post on June 7th is that while the ‘problem’ was present, the text for dimensions did not appear in the drawing. Even so, the ‘Measured Value’ data shown in the Property Editor panel was showing the correct measurement when the dimension line was selected. Now that the ‘problem’ has gone away, the text for dimensions is shown correctly in the drawing.

For reference, I had installed the latest version of QCAD (3.9.4.0) just recently, but as reported by J-J, I had been experiencing the problem in earlier versions of QCAD (probably since the release of 3.9.2, but I am not sure as I have generally being keeping QCAD up to date).

I hope that the information that I have described here is useful to the QCAD programmers. However, it may just be an irrelevant coincidence of circumstances (i.e. a red herring).

J-J

Post by J-J » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:14 pm

Win7-64, QCAD 3.10

I am experiencing the problem again, mostly with "move" and "rotate". That's to the point that I need to click the reset arrow to finish the action :evil:

I wonder if this could be platform related, although I have plenty of RAM and the graphic card is a pro version...
JJ Win7 pro-64

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”