Snap Commands Downloaded Trial Mac

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

wmgeorge
Newbie Member

Snap Commands Downloaded Trial Mac

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:47 pm

I am new to QCAD and really, really would like to make it work. On a MacBook Pro, El Capitan, 8Gb memory. Downloaded version of QCAD.

Yes I want to purchase if I can make it work.

My background. Been using AutoDesk products since 1992. Use nearly every day AutoCAD LT 2008. Coral Draw X6 and Fusion 360.

I am working in mm, would like the GRID set at say 10 mm and the SNAP at 5mm. I go into application setup and have unchecked ALL the Auto Snap settings in an attempt to just be able to set the SNAP manually but every time I go to draw something its back to Auto Snap.... Again. Yes I SAVE the settings in the Application default window. The only way I can get it to draw now is Select Free under SNAP pull down?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Snap Commands Downloaded Trial Mac

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:04 pm

wmgeorge wrote:I am working in mm, would like the GRID set at say 10 mm and the SNAP at 5mm.
This is not possible. The grid snap can only snap to visible grid points.
wmgeorge wrote:I go into application setup and have unchecked ALL the Auto Snap settings
This is generally not a good idea because it makes auto snap useless.
in an attempt to just be able to set the SNAP manually but every time I go to draw something its back to Auto Snap.... Again.
QCAD reverses to auto snap whenever a new tool is started. This is because users tend to panic (and post bug reports) when they find that QCAD suddenly snaps to end points only, thinking that something is broken.

You can override this behaviour by choosing Snap > Lock Snap. This means that QCAD no longer changes to auto snap automatically but keeps the current snap active.
The only way I can get it to draw now is Select Free under SNAP pull down?
1. Activate some snaps for auto snap again
2. If you really must keep the current snap active, check the menu Snap > Lock Snap

wmgeorge
Newbie Member

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:28 pm

So if I want to set the GRID at say 10 and SNAP at 5 mm, I must Lock the Snap at 5. But can I still SNAP to End or Intersection?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:35 pm

wmgeorge wrote:So if I want to set the GRID at say 10 and SNAP at 5 mm, I must Lock the Snap at 5. But can I still SNAP to End or Intersection?
No, snapping to invisible grid points is not possible.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Just a thought: you could set the meta grid at 10 and the grid at 5 and make grid points the same color as the background to make them vanish. Best I can think of if you really wish to snap in between visible grid points.

wmgeorge
Newbie Member

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:47 pm

So to draw to within 1 mm, with SNAP I must have the GRID set at 1 mm? This is totally different than anything I have ever used.

Wth ACAD LT I am able to enter the Line length in the Command line so I really don't care whats on the screen. I like the Rectangle where you can enter the dimensions.

When I was finally ready to do an Export the only option I found was Bitmap, I am sure in the "real" program I would have more options.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:56 pm

wmgeorge wrote:So to draw to within 1 mm, with SNAP I must have the GRID set at 1 mm?
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Of course you can draw anywhere by entering absolute or relative coordinates, lengths, distances, etc.
Wth ACAD LT I am able to enter the Line length in the Command line so I really don't care whats on the screen.
To draw a line with a given length at a given angle, you can use Draw > Line > Line from Angle or click the start point, then enter the relative polar coordinate in the format:
@length<angle
When I was finally ready to do an Export the only option I found was Bitmap, I am sure in the "real" program I would have more options.
Not sure what you mean. You can use File > Save as for DXF, DWG, File > PDF Export for PDF, File > SVG Export for SVG, File > Bitmap Export for BMP, PNG, JPEG, ...

All supported formats:
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features

wmgeorge
Newbie Member

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:37 pm

I have the trial downloaded Mac version and maybe I have a bad downloadI? My Save As choices were a place to enter another File Name or location? I saw no User input box or a place to enter line length or angle on the Command Line? I think I can work around the Snap issue by making the Grid at 1mm or less and changing to to Black as you suggested. Not sure what a Meta grid is but maybe I can figure it out.

Well I just went back and checked the SAVE AS just has the location as I said before. I will just delete the program and try Downloading again.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:44 pm

wmgeorge wrote:Well I just went back and checked the SAVE AS just has the location as I said before. I will just delete the program and try Downloading again.
This sounds like the trial plugins were removed which leaves you with the plain QCAD Community Edition. The QCAD Community Edition indeed only saves to one single version of DXF and therefore has no choice for a format in the save as dialog.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:50 pm

wmgeorge wrote:I saw no User input box or a place to enter line length or angle on the Command Line?
This would be at the bottom of your application window:
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 20.46.44.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 20.46.44.png (280.99 KiB) Viewed 8764 times
Here, we're drawing a line from the chosen start point to the relative polar coordinate @10<30 (10 distance, 30 degree angle).
If you don't have the command line, enable it with View > Command Line

Alternatively, you can also use the coordinate snaps Snap > Coordinate, Polar Coordinate to enter distances and angles.

wmgeorge
Newbie Member

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:27 pm

No, I do not have that selection or line to enter distance or angle. So I guess I was missing a lot of features with that trial download. Maybe I can get the full version with just a 30 day limit on the Apple store.

wmgeorge
Newbie Member

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:31 pm

OK, Got it with a fresh download. I can do a SAVE AS and it Imports into Fusion 360 as a DWG file just fine. Plus I opened with QCAD some old ACAD files. I can work around the rest and this is a pretty good program for doing CAD on a MAC. This is my first Mac as I want to get away from Microsoft.

One more question and I need to pay and download the real program, is there a Refresh or Redraw someplace? I usually see it in the View pull down menu.

wmgeorge
Newbie Member

Post by wmgeorge » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:32 am

Andrew thanks for the help, I just purchased QCAD via PayPal and have it up and running. Its pretty darn nice.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:38 am

wmgeorge wrote:is there a Refresh or Redraw someplace?
No, it should never be necessary to do a redraw or regenerate.

Thanks for your feedback!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”