Apparent misalignment of grid lines

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

JSHUK

Apparent misalignment of grid lines

Post by JSHUK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:31 am

I have come up against a problem (or feature) which I have only noticed in the last couple of releases. I more often than not use the grid display facility when laying out a drawing, combining this with the rulers at the left and top of the active window. So far, so good. However, I now notice that at some orders of magnification, the grid lines do not EXACTLY line up with the ruler marks. See the attached screenshot of part of a current project. You will see, I hope, that along the top ruler, the 50 and 80mm grid lines line up OK, but the 60 and 70mm marks are very slightly off the grid lines. Not a lot, I grant you, but enough to be off-putting when drawing fine detail. Also, on the left-hand side of the window, the 50 and 60mm ruler marks are misaligned (by a similar small amount) from the grid line. The small cross delineating the centre of the circle in the drawing looks as if it is off-centre to the grid line, but is actually at the 60mm position (bang-on). I should add that the drawn objects are in the right place, it's just the grid lines that are apparently misplaced. Any ideas, anyone?

John
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (208.98 KiB) Viewed 12649 times

JSHUK

Re: Apparent misalignment of grid lines

Post by JSHUK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:29 pm

Additional information: This doesn't happen when loading a new default document at the default view. Only when one presses the "+" or "-" keys to zoom in or out from the 100% view, does it occur. The amount of displacement seems to remain constant - that is to say, the displacement doesn't increase as the drawing is zoomed in, for example. However, once the effect has come into existence, it remains, even at the original size, so long as the view has been enlarged more than one keyclick.

John

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:51 pm

A couple of updates have come and gone since I posted this query. Still the problem persists. Am I the only one it is affecting? I can't believe so. Has no-one got a solution? It's really starting to bug me.

John

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:30 am

There is no misalignment problem with QCAD x64 under OS X 10.11.3 (El Capitan).

regards Thomas
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks for that information, Thomas. I was rather hoping for a cheaper solution than buying an Apple Mac, though! I've just renewed my annual subscription and now that I' m aware of the 'problem' (feature), I will learn to live with it and try not to be put off by it. I've just had a thought - I could turn off the grid and only display it when doing something critical.

John

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:52 am

I've had another look at this but on my laptop this time. The laptop runs Linux Mint 17.x with 32-bit architecture and also QCAD Pro 12.8. The problem still exists. Can somebody running a Windows 64-bit system, preferably 7 Professional, comment on whether this set-up displays the the effect, or not. I'm considering upgrading to a 64-bit desktop computer to replace my ancient 32-bit one and if the change would rid me of this error, it would probably convince me to open my wallet. Thanks in advance.

John

J-J

Post by J-J » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:06 pm

If you can attach your file I'll open it on my system (win7-64) and we'll see.
JJ Win7 pro-64

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:15 pm

J-J,

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully, it's attached to this.

John
Attachments
Slide and gib strip.dxf
(314.15 KiB) Downloaded 468 times

J-J

Post by J-J » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Hello John,

Here's a screen copy of your file, I kept the image full size (2x 27" screens) so you can zoom. No apparent misalignment is showing. I used screen based linetype for finer definition. It does not look like a QCAD issue to me.
Could it be a graphic card issue?
Good luck
Attachments
grid line alignment.jpg
grid line alignment.jpg (299.17 KiB) Viewed 12214 times
JJ Win7 pro-64

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:49 pm

Thank you, J-J, for trying the file. I see that there don't appear to be any grid lines showing in your screen shot and that is where the problem lies. (Edit -now that I look REALLY closely, I think I can see grid dots where I prefer to use lines - eg at X=60, Y=70.) You may well be right about the graphics card - it's an Nvidia GT520, although it is strange that I get the same effect on my laptop with any file or new drawing. Looks like I need a new computer, anyway. This one is over 10 years old, so almost primaeval in technical terms. Just got to convince the finance controller first.

John

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:08 pm

I don't want to labour the point, but I've just tried QCAD with my video card disabled, thus using the on-board graphics chip. The result is the same - default drawing loads fine, then zoom in with the "+" key and the grid lines go astray. So it would seem not to be my graphics card after all and points to something weird happening within QCAD. Could it be (through ignorance or incompetence) how I've set up the grid parameters?

John

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:02 pm

OK. I know I'm beginning to be a PITA about this, but I just can't let it go. I hate to be beaten! Installed the latest version - 3.13.1.0 and it exhibits the following grid distortions: New file - all the grid lines are co-incident with the ruler marks. Hit the "+" key once and all the Y-axis grid lines remain aligned with the ruler marks, but ALL the X-axis grid lines are misaligned. Zoom once more and hey-presto all lined up again! Zoom for a third time and the grid lines are randomly out of alignment with the ruler. I have screen shots but I don't know how to include the in this post. Someone please help, I have thinning hair anyway and if I don't get this sorted - or at least explained - I might end up totally bald.

Thanks,
John

P.S. how do you change the grid from lines to dots?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi John,
JSHUK wrote:P.S. how do you change the grid from lines to dots?
You can check or uncheck this option in "Application Preferences"
Husky-2016.03.22-03.png
Husky-2016.03.22-03.png (35.75 KiB) Viewed 12105 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am

Husky,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'd completely forgotten that option and couldn't seem to find it in the manual. As a side effect, selecting dots for the grid seems to have solved the misalignment problem, too! Guess I'll have to get used to using dots instead of grid lines.
Unfortunately, I've pressed something else now and lost the rulers. No amount of messing about with the "show Rulers" box changes the situation. Back to the help file!

John

J-J

Post by J-J » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:44 am

Hi John,
I have screen shots but I don't know how to include the in this post.
here's the screen copy to show how to attach a file
Attachments
add_file.jpg
add_file.jpg (94.09 KiB) Viewed 12096 times
JJ Win7 pro-64

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”