Qcad crashes after opening SVG file

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

frontporchnmill
Newbie Member

Qcad crashes after opening SVG file

Post by frontporchnmill » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:10 pm

I am a newbie, and posted this in the wrong place, so I will try again. I have qcad 3 pro and windows 10. I am trying to take a drawing from online in JPEG and modify it with qcad. What I ended up doing was to save the jpeg in Inkscape, trace the bitmap, save as an svg file and then import it into Qcad. When I try to do anything with the drawing a window pops up and qcad.exe has stopped working, and windows will close the program, at this point all you can do close the program and start over. I have tried to save the drawing in Inkscape as a dxf14 file, but qcad wont open it. I am sure it is something I am doing but I cant figure it out.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Qcad crashes after opening SVG file

Post by Husky » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:33 pm

Hello frontporchnmill - welcome to the forum!
frontporchnmill wrote:I am a newbie, and posted this in the wrong place, so I will try again.
No problem - we will delete the other post.
@Andrew: Please delete the posting in "Introduce Yourself". Thanks!.[/quote]

All done
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:47 am

@Husky - apologies, it seems I accidentally edited and erased some of your post by mistake.

@frontporchnmill - other post deleted as requested, please submit the file you are having problems with.

frontporchnmill
Newbie Member

Post by frontporchnmill » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 am

I hope I did this right, If so, here is the file that it crashes on
Thanks
Attachments
blackhawkgrip1.svg
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:52 am

Thanks for the test drawing!

Hmmm - works just fine for me.
What I did:
Opened QCAD Pro,
Menu -> File -> SVG Import -> Resolution 90 Pixels/Inch -> Ok

Cleaned the drawing for obvious Duplicates and zero length entities and saved it as a R27 dxf.

Check it out - will this work for you?
blackhawkgrip1.dxf
(156.3 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

@Clive
No problem! :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

frontporchnmill
Newbie Member

Post by frontporchnmill » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:09 am

Hey Husky that works great, I will try to do a couple more img to svg to dxf files and see if I have the same problem again doing this your way.
Thanks again.

frontporchnmill
Newbie Member

Post by frontporchnmill » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:27 am

You know Husky I am not doing something right, I tried again with this file and it does as before, just shuts me down when I start to work with the drawing. I took the file as a jpg opened it in Inkscape, traced the bitmap, saved the file to svg, imported the svg to Qcad and that's the last thing I can do. I was trying to open the select file and I get a window that says qcad.exe stopped working and window will close the program.
Attachments
blackhawk3.svg
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 453 times

frontporchnmill
Newbie Member

Post by frontporchnmill » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:37 am

I ran it again and got it open a window, did what you said and it worked good this time. I will keep working with it.
Thanks

frontporchnmill
Newbie Member

Post by frontporchnmill » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Just to let you guy's know. Qcad still crashes on this scenario every time I do it. I scan an image to pdf, open it in Inkscape, trace the bitmap, save as svg. Then open it in Qcad, save it to dxf27(or not save), at this point I chose select rectangle and select a part of the picture. Before I can go ahead I get a window that pops and says qcad.exe. has stopped working and windows will have to close. I repeated this 4 times on 4 different scans with the same results and 2 time with internet downloads of png files in place of pdf. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am consistent at it.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Are you using the 32bit or the 64bit QCAD package and what's the architecture of your Windows system (32bit / 64bit)? Thanks.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”