text as simple line doesn't work

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

MartinSmith
Newbie Member

text as simple line doesn't work

Post by MartinSmith » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi,

I would like to transform a text to a single line but it doesn't work. In this text window there is a check box for it named ( I translate from German, might be slightly different): "simple text only line no format". However once I press this the text is replaced by some kind of a command. From a number "20" I got: "\fArial|b1|i0|c0|p0;\H6;20\P".
Any work arounds for this ? I just want to have a single polyline.

I need to drive a CNC machine with this and only need a single line. So far I was breaking up the text but then it is somehow hollow which doesn't work for my purpose.

I am using :
QCAD Version: 3.4.6.0 (3.4.6)
Build Date: Feb 6 2014
Qt Version: 4.8.4
Compiler: gcc 4.2.1

I am using it on a MAC.

thanks in advance and best regards

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: text as simple line doesn't work

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:52 am

Hi MartinSmith - welcome to the forum!

what you need is a Single line font (or similar called). If you don't have one already on your Computer please check the Internet for something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Single+ ... 40&bih=713

Those fonts are just build with one line - absolutely that what you are looking for to feed your CAM /CNC.
Download a font / use it in QCAD / send it to your CAM/CNC ... done.
(Maybe you need to explode the text before you are able to use it in the CAM software - depends on the CAM Software)
MartinSmith wrote:I would like to transform a text to a single line but it doesn't work. In this text window there is a check box for it named ( I translate from German, might be slightly different): "simple text only line no format". However once I press this the text is replaced by some kind of a command. From a number "20" I got: "\fArial|b1|i0|c0|p0;\H6;20\P".
Any work arounds for this ? I just want to have a single polyline.
That is a different story - has nothing to do with your single line cnc font problem. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

MartinSmith
Newbie Member

Post by MartinSmith » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:59 pm

Hi Husky,

thanks for your quick response and sorry for my late reply; it took me a moment to find such a single line font (and I was in vacation in between as well).
It now works like this - had a first text done already.

The only issue I have is that I cannot exchange all my text in one action. I found a post regarding mass change of text where it was said that I could do this via the property editor but this doesn't work in my file.
I made a test with a new file where it works.
So my question is: are there any prerequisites or constraints for this ? My text is rotated - each of them differently. Is that a problem ?
In fact when I double click the text the new text font is shown but the apperance doesn't change.
I would like to avoid to double click and then change the font for each text element - as I have quite a few of them.
Any ideas ?

thanks

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:46 am

Hi MartinSmith,
MartinSmith wrote:So my question is: are there any prerequisites or constraints for this ? My text is rotated - each of them differently. Is that a problem ?
I usually use the "Selection Filter" to select and then change (in the Property Editor) the text in one go and it works just fine. Rotated text doesn't matter. I have the feeling that your downloaded font behaves weird. Where can I find this font in the internet? Thanks
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

MartinSmith
Newbie Member

Post by MartinSmith » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:05 pm

hi,

and thanks again.I have found and used those ones: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/psfonts.zip
But I cannot change to another usual font like times as well. And as I wrote: in a new drawing it works fine. Just not in my existing drawing.I think I created the text by multi-rotating them as a series with 5° steps - maybe there is some kind of a block problem ? On the other hand I can select each individual text and if I use the explode function it really explodes the selected text into several lines (with several texts being a block it would destroy the block first from my understanding). I think the problem might be in that area.

thanks in advance

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi MartinSmith,
MartinSmith wrote:hi,

and thanks again.I have found and used those ones: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/psfonts.zip
But I cannot change to another usual font like times as well. And as I wrote: in a new drawing it works fine. Just not in my existing drawing.
But this "not working drawing" is also completely created with QCAD, isn't it?

Could you please attache the drawing or an example of that drawing what shows the problem? I need also this particular font. PM would be also ok. Thanks.

MartinSmith
Newbie Member

Post by MartinSmith » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi,

yes everything exclusively done in QCAD Pro :-)
How can I send you a dxf file ?

best regards

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:19 am

MartinSmith wrote:How can I send you a dxf file ?
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3760

or quite similar via PM ...
Husky-2016.03.21-02.png
Husky-2016.03.21-02.png (18.65 KiB) Viewed 7787 times

MartinSmith
Newbie Member

Post by MartinSmith » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 am

[quote][/quote]

hi,

sorry missed the button. Now you should see it. I have simply copied a bit of text from my original file into a new one and it shows exactly the same behaviour.

best regards
text_troubles_1.dxf
(80.05 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:13 am

MartinSmith wrote:I have simply copied a bit of text from my original file into a new one and it shows exactly the same behaviour.
Thank you - now I know what you are talking about .... :wink:

Ok - here is the thing - maybe you should have a seat :shock:

There are two ways in QCAD to create a text.
1. Simple text - one line - no formatting
Husky-2016.03.21-02.png
Husky-2016.03.21-02.png (33.13 KiB) Viewed 7768 times
This would be the best setting for the purpose in your test drawing.

or ...

2. "fancy" Text - eventual multiple lines + formatting (possible with unchecked Simple text option)
Husky-2016.03.21-04.png
Husky-2016.03.21-04.png (41.66 KiB) Viewed 7768 times
This is the setting which is used by you (unknowingly?) for the test drawing.

As you can see I used in this one multiple lines, different formatting styles and most important to you two different fonts.
QCAD needs now to put all this information in a code which can be used in the drawing - you can see that in the Source register ...
Husky-2016.03.21-01.png
Husky-2016.03.21-01.png (37.57 KiB) Viewed 7768 times
... and in the Property Manager
Husky-2016.03.21-05.png
Husky-2016.03.21-05.png (21.41 KiB) Viewed 7768 times
If you need to change the settings for this or all selected text entities you have to change this code - what is doable but kind of confusing. If you just change the Font Name ...
Husky-2016.03.21-06.png
Husky-2016.03.21-06.png (9.95 KiB) Viewed 7768 times
... and I think that is what you did - you will not see any effect to your text because the formatting code will overwrite the Font Name setting.

Long story short: If you don't need fancy formatting in your text then just don't use it. Simple text is then the way to go. 8)

MartinSmith
Newbie Member

Post by MartinSmith » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi and thanks again,

I am using the fancy style as this is the default and if I change to simple text I will only see my text in this source code style ON my drawing.

What I find strange is that I can change the font for multiple NEW text elements by changing the font name in the property dialog but not for the existing ones. There I can only change them text element by text element - doesn't make sense. Seems that I have done something to those text elements that prevents changing them. And I just see that I can only change the old ones via the text window and not through the property dialog. Problem must be in that area....
Are there any differences between QCAD Pro on Windows and on MAC ?

best regards

MartinSmith
Newbie Member

Post by MartinSmith » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:31 pm

...I think it has something to do with blocks. Had some problems in the past when doing a bit of copy and paste....

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”