Crashing QCAD3.4.4 related to .dwg

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

LeoP

Crashing QCAD3.4.4 related to .dwg

Post by LeoP » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:58 am

QCAD 3.4.4, 32 bits, running under LinuxMint 17.3 (I think), recently upgraded to 64 bit.

When I open a .dwg file, all seems OK. I can even edit it, but after a while QCAD crashes and closes without a trace.
When I do not edit this file but try to save it as .dxf, the same thing happens.
When I create a new file and copy all the elements of the .dwg into it and try to save that as either .dxf or .dwg: crash. Does not matter if the .dwg is open at that moment or not.
I did a fresh install of Qcad: no joy.

Creating a new dxf from scratch works just fine, I can even save that as .dwg; all behaves as expected.
Which leads me to the conclusion that there must be something in the .dwg that causes this behaviour. But what?

I tried this with two different files, both from Hammond Manufacturing in the section Small Enclosures. More specific: the 1598BBBK and 1598CBK enclosures.
These files can be found at hammondmfg.com, for those interested.

But the all important question: What do I have to do to prevent this from happening? I need a 'clean' dxf to import into my PCB design program.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Crashing QCAD3.4.4 related to .dwg

Post by andrew » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:48 pm

I couldn't reproduce this problem here so far.

Some educated guesses:
- The crash might occur when saving the file. If there is a crash after a while, that might be auto save that is trying to save your file periodically.
- Crashes when saving might be caused by invalid symbol (block, layer, line type) names or similar.

Potential solutions:
- Try to purge all unused layers and blocks (Layer > Purge Unused Layers, Block > Purge Unused Blocks), then attempt to save again.
- Update to the latest version of QCAD (3.14) or download and install the latest QCAD trial version to check if the problem is still present.
- Install the 64bit package instead of the 32bit package.

LeoP

Re: Crashing QCAD3.4.4 related to .dwg

Post by LeoP » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Removing the texts and dimensions solved my problem.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”