Library object confusion

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

JSHUK

Library object confusion

Post by JSHUK » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:39 pm

Using Windows 64-bit 7 Professional and QCAD 3.15.0.
Every so often I need a specific item from the library. I believe that I've created it correctly and I can load it directly from Windows Explorer into QCAD. However, if I open a document (new or old) and try to either import a library item by right clicking and selecting "insert" or left-clicking and dragging into the active window, all I get is the first library item selected appearing - not always. For example, I have three professionally produced dxf files downloaded from Tracepartsonline of ball bearings. All three are in the default library in a sub-folder. Insert the first file, a side view - no problem. Insert the second file. a front view of the same bearing - the first view is inserted again. Select the third file, a smaller bearing and it appears OK. Go back and try the second file again and the first file appears. Something wrong with the file - or me?

John

JSHUK

Re: Library object confusion

Post by JSHUK » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:52 pm

If it helps, I've just remembered how to take a screenshot. The attached file shows the result of what I've tried to describe, above.
John
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (260.11 KiB) Viewed 4587 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi John - I have no problems to insert different parts from the library - everything works as expected. Is your Library database updated?
If you still face problems could you please provide this troublemaking parts from Tracepartsonline for further testing? PM with those affected library items is also OK. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

JSHUK

Post by JSHUK » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:19 pm

Well, I've sorted it out. I followed the old maxim "if all else fails, read the manual"! It seems that I was saving the objects having first created them as a block. Not what you're supposed to do, apparently. I re-saved the offending files as ordinary dxf files with all separate entities and that seems to have solved my problem. Now all I have to do is go through all the other library items I saved the wrong way and re-save them.
John

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”