[solved] Text not saved

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Galen
Newbie Member

[solved] Text not saved

Post by Galen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Hello,

Hello, for some reason QCAD has stopped saving text.

The command line says, "Exception occurred. Entity not saved: ###"

This pretty much makes QCAD unusable. I have tried saving multiple formats, restarting, and reinstalling. I am using Windows 7 Professional.

Thank you,
Galen

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Text not saved

Post by Husky » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:44 pm

Hello Galen - welcome to the forum!

Please indicate your QCAD Version and post this troublemaking drawing or at least an example drawing which shows the same behavior. Thanks
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Galen
Newbie Member

Post by Galen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:03 pm

Thank you for your prompt response.

Version: 3.15.5.0 (3.15.5)
Build Date: Aug 19 2016
Revision: 15ef1a1
QT Version: 5.5.1
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler: MSVC++ 12.0 (2013)

This occurs with literally any and every file with text. I should mention that this started shortly after I pasted this angle symbol ∠ into a textbox of a different .dwg file.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Galen wrote:This occurs with literally any and every file with text. I should mention that this started shortly after I pasted this angle symbol ∠ into a textbox of a different .dwg file.
No problems here to save/reopen a drawing with this symbol. I run on a windows OS.
Husky-2016.10.07-01.png
Husky-2016.10.07-01.png (14.59 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Galen
Newbie Member

Post by Galen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Here is an example
Attachments
Test.png
Test.png (127.41 KiB) Viewed 5365 times
test.dwg
(15.99 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:35 pm

Sorry - I can't reproduce that on my machine.

Question: Your QCAD Version is a Pro, correct?

And ... what kind of redirected path is that to save that file on your Desktop? That looks not like a standard Win7 path. Have you tried to save this troublemaking drawing to a standard path like "C:\Users\xxx\Desktop" and maybe much more important without Special character like this $ symbol.

Galen
Newbie Member

Post by Galen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:02 pm

I am using the pro version.

Saving to the C drive has the same problem.

Another note I just uninstalled and re-installed QCAD using Revo uninstaller which removes the registry entrees as well, but when I went to add text the text box was already filled with the last text I had typed. This means that QCAD is saving data somewhere that is not being removed with a full uninstall. Could you tell me where else QCAD stores data so that I can remove all of the program?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (198.57 KiB) Viewed 5359 times

Galen
Newbie Member

Post by Galen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:22 pm

UPDATE:

I was able to get rid of the problem by loading an old .dwg file. I presume there was an invisible character saved to the QCAD clipboard that the system did not recognize. If that is true this is completely my fault. On the flip side it would be nice if the clipboard was cleared on restart. It would also be nice to have a search bar for special characters.

Thank you for your help. I hope this is your largest problem today.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Galen wrote:I am using the pro version.

Saving to the C drive has the same problem.

Another note I just uninstalled and re-installed QCAD using Revo uninstaller which removes the registry entrees as well, but when I went to add text the text box was already filled with the last text I had typed. This means that QCAD is saving data somewhere that is not being removed with a full uninstall. Could you tell me where else QCAD stores data so that I can remove all of the program?
Hi Galen,

QCAD will use the qcad3.ini to store the settings like your last text etc.. This qcad3.ini isn't stored in the qcad directory - you will find the location regarding this troubleshooting page: http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentati ... leshooting
If you delete this file all your setting for QCAD are gone. Maybe it would be a good idea to rename this file first as a backup instead to delete it finaly - maybe you need it later again ...
However - very important is not to overwrite an old QCAD installation. Use a fresh and empty directory for the new installation.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Galen wrote:I was able to get rid of the problem by loading an old .dwg file.
I'm glad to hear that.
Galen wrote:Thank you for your help.
You are welcome!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”