How to create your own Layer Standards ...

Tips and tricks you want to share with other users. Tutorials, user submitted documentation, etc.

Moderator: andrew

How to create your own Layer Standards ...

Postby Husky » Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 am

... until we have a better solution :wink:

This "How to" shows maybe one of thousand ways to have always the same Basic Layer List in your drawings - but it is fast, minimizes mistakes and brings you to a kind of standard.

How to:
Open a new drawing - create your own Layer List like this sample or use/modifier this sample list what you can download and use for free.

Husky_Layer List.png
Husky_Layer List.png (5.77 KiB) Viewed 3656 times

"Save it as" in your Library Folder. (I used the name "Layer List.dxf" in my personal Library Folder what is saved in my Folder "my standards")

To use it:
Open a new drawing - open the Library - and drag and drop this Library Item into your new drawing.
You will see that all Layer are now also exist in your new drawing and they are ready to go. The Library Item (Layer List) will appear as a Block in the Block List. If you like to delete it - go for it. The Layer List will stay in your drawing.
Why are my Layer in a numerical order? Just to have them always on top of the list and all additional layer are then below my standard list. If you also like it - keep it on this way - if you don't like it name your Layer however it makes sense to you. :wink:

Have fun!!!

Layer List.dxf
(52.99 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Husky

Re: How to create your own Layer Standards ...

Postby Clive » Sat May 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks Husky
Particularly the 'tip' about numbering the layers to keep them in order and at the beginning of the layer list - very useful! :wink:
Clive

Return to QCAD 3 Tips and Tutorials