New from Providence

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Pinned
Registered Member

New from Providence

Post by Pinned » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Hey all,
New user in the Providence, RI area. I'm the Maintenance Superintendent at a printing company and I've been tasked with developing a building and equipment layout for our facility. I have a few semesters of training in AutoCAD about a decade ago so to say I'm rusty at CAD operation is probably an understatement.

I'll be looking through the forum for starters on recommendations for training tools. Basically I have a print for the physical structure which I can duplicate fairly easily and I would like to setup our equipment as objects that I can readily move around the floor. It's definitely a simple project, but I anticipate it will be quite time consuming aquiring the physical dimension aspects of all of our equipment.

I'm sure I'll find more as I search through the forum, but if any of you would like to pass along your personal recommendations for basic training manuals, video, and software I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Clive

Re: New from Providence

Post by Clive » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi Pinned

welcome to the forum.

You can't get better introduction to using QCAD than the QCAD book:

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/shop/category ... ategory=77

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Hey Pinned - welcome to the Forum,
Pinned wrote:Hey all,
New user in the Providence, RI area. I'm the Maintenance Superintendent at a printing company and I've been tasked with developing a building and equipment layout for our facility. I have a few semesters of training in AutoCAD about a decade ago so to say I'm rusty at CAD operation is probably an understatement.
Ok, maybe a little rusty but you have already a good idea how CAD works, correct? :wink:
Pinned wrote:I'll be looking through the forum for starters on recommendations for training tools. Basically I have a print for the physical structure which I can duplicate fairly easily and I would like to setup our equipment as objects that I can readily move around the floor. It's definitely a simple project, but I anticipate it will be quite time consuming aquiring the physical dimension aspects of all of our equipment.
This is something what can easily be done with QCAD - just consider to make a proper use of Layer / Blocks / Library Items.
Pinned wrote:I'm sure I'll find more as I search through the forum, but if any of you would like to pass along your personal recommendations for basic training manuals, video, and software I would appreciate it. Thanks!
The first thing what comes in my mind is:

QCAD Book from the Author of the QCAD Software ...
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/shop/category ... ategory=77

this Forum with the section "QCAD 3 Tips and Tutorials"
viewforum.php?f=47
or
"Creating DXF/DWG items"
viewforum.php?f=51
or Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=qcad

If this isn't enough to bring you on your way or your problem isn't mentioned / solved you are more than welcome to ask any question regarding QCAD in this forum - we are here to help!
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Pinned
Registered Member

Post by Pinned » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Thank you, gentlemen. I went ahead and purchased the author's guide when I purchased the software and have worked through a few chapters, it should be all I need to accomplish this project. I hear that we may have a digital CAD copy of our building blueprint which will save me a lot of time in creating our building layout. There would certainly be an awful lot of time spent in acquiring all of the physical dimensions of the building, even if there's just a hard copy available it'll be an immense time saver.

The work space at our facility is very chaotic and myself and the production manager are working towards a solution that will increase our efficiency. This is certainly the first step in that process and I'm very happy to have found QCAD and that it is so reasonably priced.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Sounds like a plan ... :D
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Introduce Yourself”