2.2 on a newer Win7 laptop

Post your question about installing or upgrading to QCAD 2.1/2.2. Be sure to search, and check the docs before you post!

Moderator: andrew

2.2 on a newer Win7 laptop

Postby bobfey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 am

A week ago I had a virus attack and when the shop got done and reinstalled Win7 I discovered that most of my files were gone and most of my applications too. A total disaster. So now I am trying to install my Qcad 2.2 version. I have the disc in the tray, I follow the steps in the book on pages 22, 23. But nothing happens. I know that a lot is happening to the disc as i can feel the vibrations through the case. But I get no installation icons and no installation happens.

Any help for this question? I would like to get this application reinstalled. I don't know where my files went but I know I can recreate some important ones myself.
bobfey

Re: 2.2 on a newer Win7 laptop

Postby bobfey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have been slowly rebuilding my laptop as I also am getting my old PC laptop backups restored. But some things are just not coming back to the old laptop or the new laptop. I have all the Qcad files and library now available on the old laptop. I am sure I could copy that to the new laptop. But in neither can I get Qcad 2.2 to revive or install.

I guess the item missing might just be an installer. How would I get something like that. I am happy with Qcad 2 for the time being and really don't want to buy Qcad 3 right now either. So I am rather stuck if I don't have something to make my Qcad 2 CD install to either my older laptop with XP or my newer laptop with Win7. I would prefer with Win7.

Can do?

EDIT TO UPDATE: I went to the download page and found what I hope is the solution. It was an installer. I hope it installed a full time Qcad and not a temporary one. I was able to install, figured out a file problem, may have been telling me that all day yesterday too. So I finally got the Qcad to install, maybe with the installer I down loaded or the one on the CD. Either way I am installed, have moved my images from the old laptop to the new laptop. I guess my old laptop was older as I don't think I have all of them now. But not that difficult to replaced. I will look some more on my prior back up disc. May still be there.

So if this install stays good, I thank those that read and responded. Maybe it was your wishful thinking that helped me get going.
Last edited by bobfey on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobfey

Postby bobfey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 pm

What I downloaded was from the trial stuff and it was just described as the Qcad 2 installer. My CD was the original I used since Dec 12, 2009. I wonder whether I installed off my CD or the installer I think I downloaded. How long will the temp install last, as if it goes forever I must have installed from my CD.k

Thanks for the link to the personal area. I have moved so I needed the opportunity to correct my address and my date of birth.

All I saw on the personal side were the sales of certain disc and books combinations.k

Question about Qcad 3. Are the current books close enough for the newer Qcad 3 programs or is a new book required? Am considering a upgrade but not important enough right now. I need to get my laptop back to full operation. That is going to take a bunch of time. Most of my Qcad files have been found but a couple will have to be redone when I have time. Many of my hundreds of photo's have been found and put to the new laptop, but I see in some cases 3 or 4 of each photo. Going to be a lot of time to understand and correct that situation. All sounds terrible but it is much better now than for the last week as I thought all was lost. This morning I finally got my WD backup drive working again. It needed a good software update. Glad I had that backup system going for a long time. How it got to not working I don't know.

Thanks again.
bobfey

Postby bobfey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 am

With the files I have restored I get all line work but none of the notes or dimensions.

Which file should I look for in my backup files to retrieve that information.
bobfey

Postby bobfey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for those inputs. I have been to the user section. I see nothing about a free download. I don't mind paying if that is what is required. I just don't know if I want to do so. I recently turned 79, do not do any commercial work. Only need is for smaller, personal, operations. I have been working in CAD since back in the 1970's with CADAM(?). Also have had AutoCAD and CATIA experience along with my earliest PC program of Generic CAD. So I have had some rather simple to some very complicated Cad experiences.

My question about which file should I look for on my backup storage area that covers the text, notes, dimension numbers, will certainly speed up my search and transfer from my old laptop to my new laptop. I will start the search right now but one of thousands means a long search and possible not found since I don't know what I am looking for.

Inputs appreciated.
bobfey

Postby andrew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm

bobfey: Your download link has expired since you have ordered QCAD in 2009.

I've sent you an e-mail with a temporary download link for the QCAD 2.2 package for Windows.
andrew
Site Admin

Postby bobfey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Thank you Andrew. I just did the install and now I seem to have all the text and dimensions too.

I do still have the disc so wouldn't that do for installing and get the correct results? Maybe something I did wrong after my crash due to a virus that pretty much wiped out my laptop?

Well I do thank you as I peeked at a couple files and they seem to be OK now.
bobfey

Return to QCAD 2.1/2.2 Installation and Upgrades