Adding Options to the CAM Configuration Page

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jthornton

Re: Adding Options to the CAM Configuration Page

Post by jthornton » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:43 pm

I found out what my problem was, the QComboBox needed the Editable property to be checked.

Onwards I go...

JT

spesmek
Newbie Member

Post by spesmek » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 pm

I was working on a post for my plasma table that runs on linuxcnc and had some trouble. i have made some boxes under configuration options global that i named "cutheight" "piercehight" "safeight" and i want the numbers from these boxes to be in my g-code in brackets as seen in the tooldown section where i call a subroutine (o<touchoff> call [8] [0] [3]) as in the example here:
G64 P0.05 G21 S100
G00 X10 Y0 F1000
o<touchoff> call [8] [0] [3]
G01 X20
G03 X30 Y10 I0 J10
G01 Y190
G03 X20 Y200 I-10 J0
G01 X10
G03 X-0 Y190 I0 J-10
G01 Y10
G03 X10 Y-0 I10 J-0
M5
G92.1
G0 Z50
M2

But as far as i can see jthornton has been working on a post that are doing almost the same thing, has he got this up and running?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:06 am

Please indicate what version of QCAD/CAM you are using. QCAD/CAM >= 3.17.0 has been updated considerably in terms of handling and postprocessor format.

spesmek
Newbie Member

Post by spesmek » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:52 pm

I have been using Version: 3.17.0.0 (3.17.0) since the release. i can see that it has a lot of new functions, i have planned to look into this for my mill that has a Fagor 8055 control. But for my plasmatable i was just in the process of adding some functions to my post after an upgrade to my torch height control. the problem i ran into was that the numbers following the name of the subroutine had to be in brackets like this [3] and that made a conflict with the syntax of javascript.

qharley

Post by qharley » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:18 am

I just upgraded from 3.15 to 3.17

None of my custom CAM modules are picked up by the new version. How do I make QCAD aware of my cam configurations?

I copied the files over from the old Camconfigurations folder to the new, but that did not work.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:27 am

qharley wrote:None of my custom CAM modules are picked up by the new version. How do I make QCAD aware of my cam configurations?
QCAD/CAM 3.17 uses an updated configuration to account for toolpaths, cutter radius compensations, etc. Depending on how much your configurations differ from plain G-Code, porting could be straight-forward or not.

Note that you can still use your old configurations if you put them into scripts/Cam/CamConfigurations and use CAM > CAM Legacy Export to export. In other words, the old CAM export function is still available in QCAD/CAM 3.17. However, it does not support any of the new features such as toolpaths, multi-cut, cutter radius compensation, etc.

qharley

Post by qharley » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:31 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually found the Legacy button just before your reply and sure enough, my tools were there.

Will port it to the new CAM interface. Looks straight forward enough. I will let you know if I find things that needs custom configuration options.

Dacicusan

Post by Dacicusan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Why it is my Configuration Options missing "per Layer" options? Just compared my Configuration Options dialog box with the one posted in the first page of this thread and they looks quite different. It is there a manual or something where it is explained how to configure all this things?
Configuration Options_Missing Options.png
Configuration Options_Missing Options.png (62.8 KiB) Viewed 15450 times
Screenshot-CAM Configuration-1.png
Screenshot-CAM Configuration-1.png (79.27 KiB) Viewed 15450 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Dacicusan wrote:Why it is my Configuration Options missing "per Layer" options?
The first dialog posted is from QCAD/CAM 3.17 or later which is toolpath based (1. create toolpaths from entity selection and assign various CAM related properties, 2. export said toolpaths through a post processor to G-Code etc.).

The second dialog is from QCAD/CAM 3.16 or earlier (legacy) which can only export the whole geometry in a drawing in one go with identical parameters or to a certain degree use parameters on a layer basis. This legacy export is still available in QCAD/CAM >= 3.17 under CAM > CAM Legacy Export.

The brief QCAD/CAM Tutorial should get you started on QCAD/CAM 3.17 or later:
https://www.qcad.org/doc/qcadcam/QCADCA ... ial_en.pdf

More documentation on QCAD/CAM and creating toolpaths will be made available once the interface stabilizes. QCAD/CAM 3.17/3.18 is still new and might still be undergoing substantial changes in the coming months before stabilizing.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”