Toolpath capabilities of QCADCAM ?

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Clive

Toolpath capabilities of QCADCAM ?

Post by Clive » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:28 pm

I am investing in a CNC router to compliment existing laser cutters at work. My question is reasonably basic albeit an important one for me because I need to determine whether QCADCAM would be the tool of choice to use for creating the following tool paths mostly from wood stock, boards and solid section in 2D:

Profile tool path
Pocket tool path
Drilling tool path
Engraving tool path
V carve tool path
Fluting tool path
Texturing tool path
Inlay tool path

I would very much hope to use QCADCAM for these functions rather than have to use another program!

QCADCAM would also need to export to an stl format - is this possible?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Toolpath capabilities of QCADCAM ?

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Non of this functionality is provided by QCAD/CAM out of the box.

The idea behind QCAD/CAM is to provide a universal scriptable framework which can create any type of output based on CAD data.

In other words, while all the things on your feature list would be achievable with QCAD/CAM, non of it is implemented and readily available. The configurations currently provided with QCAD/CAM generate basic G-Code output only (lines and arcs that represent the geometry of all the entities in the drawing).

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Andrew,
Thanks very much for your reply, its no problem whatsoever it was just an enquiry that's all. I shall need QCAD for all my drafting work :wink: and just use the 'other' program to process it for now.

As a side note, it would be fantastic if time permits, that you could develop the functions that I listed - what an excellent CAM 'add-on' this would make and I for one would be the first in the queue to buy it 8)
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Clive wrote:As a side note, it would be fantastic if time permits, that you could develop the functions that I listed - what an excellent CAM 'add-on' this would make and I for one would be the first in the queue to buy it 8)
Yes, that would be great :) However, you've posted several months of work, so this is unlikely to happen anytime soon..

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:00 pm

andrew wrote:Yes, that would be great :) However, you've posted several months of work, so this is unlikely to happen anytime soon..
Well, you've got some holiday time to take haven't you :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously, maybe be just chip away at it now and again - just think of the future users that will use it :wink:

Return to “QCAD/CAM”