CAM import for alternative CAM export configurations

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Peter York
Newbie Member

CAM import for alternative CAM export configurations

Post by Peter York » Mon May 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Hey All,

I've created a custom CAM export configuration, and now I'd like to be able to go the other direction (import the generated g-code as geometry). Should this be possible with the built-in CAM import feature? Or do I need to edit a script or the source code? When I try to use the cam import tool with my g-code, I don't get any error, the layers show up in the layer editor, but no geometry appears in the graphics window.

Thanks,
Pete

QCAD version: 3.15, CAM trial

andrew
Site Admin

Re: CAM import for alternative CAM export configurations

Post by andrew » Mon May 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Peter York wrote:I've created a custom CAM export configuration, and now I'd like to be able to go the other direction (import the generated g-code as geometry). Should this be possible with the built-in CAM import feature?
No. The CAM importer only reads plain, simple G-Code (G0 for rapid moves, G1 for linear moves, G2 & G3 for circular arcs).

Depending on how different your output is from this, you'd likely have to create an entirely new importer for that format.

Peter York
Newbie Member

Post by Peter York » Mon May 30, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks, Andrew-- turns out if I rename the axes in my gcode from GX/GY/Z to X/Y/Z the built-in importer works just fine (which makes sense, I think). Is there a way to edit the CAM importer to look for GX/GY instead of X/Y? Do I need to buy the non-trial version of QCAM to access these files?

Thanks a lot!
Pete

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue May 31, 2016 10:08 am

QCAD/CAM 3.15.2 comes with some configuration options to configure the regular expressions used for parsing G, X, Y, I and J values in G-Code. The default expression is also more relaxed than in previous versions, so this might just work out of the box for you:
http://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-downloads-trial

Peter York
Newbie Member

Post by Peter York » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks, Andrew! Worked great out-of-the-box for me!

Cheers,
Pete

Return to “QCAD/CAM”