How to navigate the Tool Matrix with the keyboard?

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

bob93

How to navigate the Tool Matrix with the keyboard?

Post by bob93 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:03 pm

I can access the Tool Matrix with Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar, then I can type a keyword to find the tool I need, however I still have to click the tool icon with the mouse.
It would be nice to be able to select things in the Tool Matrix with the keyboard without having to move the mouse cursor. For example, Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar, then type "point to" to find the Distance Point to Point tool, then DownArrowkey to select it, then Enter. This would be quicker than moving the cursor out of position (for the Distance Point to Point tool you have to position the cursor at the point from which you want to measure).
I tried to do this with the arrow keys and other keys such as Tab to try to navigate the Tool Matrix to no avail. Is it even possible?

Note: I know most if not all tools have keyboard shortcuts, but that requires memorizing all the tools and their shortcuts. Being able to quickly select things from the Tool Matrix using keywords is preferable to having to memorize everything.
The Distance Point to Point command above is just an example, I already know the shortcut is IP, but that's only because it's one of my 5 most used commands. For the rest, which is the vast majority of them, I don't know the keyboard shortcut, so I use the Tool Matrix to find them

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How to navigate the Tool Matrix with the keyboard?

Post by Husky » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:31 pm

Hi,
The purpose of the toolmatrix is to launch with the mouse pointer tools immididly - not to help you remembering and then using shortcuts.

I assume a shortcut list like this pdf will help more ...
https://qcad.org/archives/shortcuts/shortcuts_en.pdf
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

bob93

Post by bob93 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:55 pm

Husky wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:31 pm
The purpose of the toolmatrix is to launch with the mouse pointer tools immididly - not to help you remembering and then using shortcuts.
You mean immediately? That's what I'm talking about. Clicking with the mouse isn't as immediate as navigating with the keyboard would be. Anyways, I just wanted to know if that is possible

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:51 am

bob93 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:55 pm
Anyways, I just wanted to know if that is possible
With the Tool Matrix? Not to my knowledge.
Question: If it is so important to you to keep the mouse pointer position as is - why not just navigate the Qcad standard menu with the keyboard?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:35 am

bob93 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:55 pm
You mean immediately? That's what I'm talking about.
Clicking with the mouse isn't as immediate as navigating with the keyboard would be.
IMHO is selecting a QCAD tool from the Tool Matrix an immediate action.

The indicated tool becomes active with one single click on its tool button ... Action button.
Very similar for visible Toolbars and other panels, Widgets.

One click and you can start indicating things required for the tool with the same input device ...
... Using the keyboard to navigate through Widgets or Menus would still require a swap to an indication device ... :roll:

Navigating through menus is not something I prefer:
  • ALT+I >> Dimension
  • ALT+I >> Info >> ALT+P >> Polar Position >> ALT+P >> Distance Point to Point >> Enter
    ... OR ...
  • ALT and navigating with Right and Down arrow (13x) + Enter
  • Swap to mouse to indicate 2 positions
The whole procedure can be done in 3 clicks if the tool button is visible on a Toolbar or Widget ...
... Or with typing 'IP' and 2 clicks.

All that is precisely why it is called a Graphical User Interface.

Bottom Line:
You can not navigate with keys through the Tool Matrix nor any other Toolbar.
TAB may have some use with various input fields in for example the Option Toolbar.
The Tool Matrix is intended as a large searchable collection of most QCAD tools action buttons.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”