Introduce Yourself = Area 51?

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Introduce Yourself = Area 51?

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:32 pm

"Husky - You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."

Well .... there must be something been hidden and that is the reason while I don't have access to "Introduce Yourself" in this forum :shock: :roll: :D :wink:

Clive

Re: Introduce Yourself = Area 51?

Post by Clive » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi Husky
Once you are logged in, you should be able to read the topics yes or no?

Andrew has the admin rights on this one, only he can change it!

[Edit: Actually, thinking about it some more, I quite like the 'privacy' here as it means that only sincere dedicated and registered forum members only can read user introductions - Instead of openly and publicly letting anybody read these intro`s.
Maybe this is the reason for this, just my thoughts here]

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:52 am

clive wrote:Once you are logged in, you should be able to read the topics yes or no?
That was what I thought - but no ..... not me!
clive wrote:Actually, thinking about it some more, I quite like the 'privacy' here as it means that only sincere dedicated and registered forum members only can read user introductions - Instead of openly and publicly letting anybody read these intro`s.
Maybe this is the reason for this, just my thoughts here
I agree - absolutely right. But maybe a little bit more info why I have been rejected would be nice. Like: "You are not long enough a member" ...., or "you have not the required 1000 Post to enter this forum" or "we figured out that you are not sincere and dedicated" ... :wink:
Currently is the Info: "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."

Anyway. It is not that important for me to enter this specific Forum - but it makes me thinking "why" and I don't think that I have to take it personal ..... :wink:

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 am

Oh...I see, I presumed all registered users could access all the forums - but it seems not!
Can you access the 'Meta Data' forum - yes or no? as this also has a similar set up too.
Husky wrote:Anyway. It is not that important for me to enter this specific Forum - but it makes me thinking "why" and I don't think that I have to take it personal ..... :wink:
Of course all registered forum users should be able to access these forums, they are not exclusive to my knowledge.

@Andrew may we have this changed please.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:46 am

Husky: Can you check again? Permissions are nearly unmanageable in PHPBB, but I was able to copy the permissions from Chat to the other forums. Hopefully that helps.

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 am

Hi Andrew - thanks - it works now :wink:

First of all the facts: I'm now able to access all forums - also "Area 51" and it doesn't matter my Login status (for reading!).
The message "You do not have the required permissions ..." is vanished.

Now my theory: I remember that the forum has ask me from time to time a second time to log in. It was confusing but not really important ...
Now I checked my Surf Chronic and I can see that the forum twitched between the URL ribbonsoft.com and qcad.org. Ok, redirection to the same Server application - not a big deal!
But why is it possible, in the same Browser session, to be logged IN e.g. in ribbonsoft.com and logged OFF in qcad.org? They are not talking to each other? It should be a soliloquy! :wink: (and yes - I refreshed the window ...) :lol:

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:44 am

The short story is that PHPBB login does not work when installed on multiple domains. There is a mod (fix) which does not improve the situation at all.

Since there is no other way, I am in the process of changing all links to the forum to qcad.org/rsforum.

Return to “Chat”