General drawing/CAD questions

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

cjs94

General drawing/CAD questions

Post by cjs94 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:25 am

Hi,

The more I use QCAD the more questions I have about technical drawing (mechanical) and the correct use of CAD in general. Can anyone recommend a suitable forum, mailing list, or similar?

Thanks,
Chris

Clive

Re: General drawing/CAD questions

Post by Clive » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Chris
Its good your interest in Computer Aided Design is growing. You would do no better really in my opinion than to work through the QCAD book, it will give you an immediate formal introduction to the basic general concepts and principles of 2D drafting in CAD which applies to all CAD programs and not just QCAD.The other thing to consider is to undertake some formal training either in attendance somewhere or by correspondence course.
These QCAD forums are the best place to post your questions, don't worry how many, just post if you need to :wink: .

You need something progressive and structured and the book will give you that!

Chris, what are your intentions for using CAD - for home work or do you need it for your job?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

cjs94

Post by cjs94 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi Clive,

I'm starting to use CAD for work, but also use it for home work. I have a basic grounding in technical drawing from my college design & technology course (many years ago!), so I do have a reasonable understanding of the principles. Most of my questions are really about best practise.

As an example, everything I've found says that you shouldn't put dimensions on the outline. I'm working on a drawing which is essentially a large plate which has some small hole details in the middle. To me it would seem cleaner to put the dimensions which relate the holes to each other near them, on the outline, rather than bringing extension lines all the way to the edge. Would that be considered bad practise?

Chris

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:53 pm

cjs94 wrote:As an example, everything I've found says that you shouldn't put dimensions on the outline. I'm working on a drawing which is essentially a large plate which has some small hole details in the middle. To me it would seem cleaner to put the dimensions which relate the holes to each other near them, on the outline, rather than bringing extension lines all the way to the edge. Would that be considered bad practise?
Different countries/work industries do have varying standards as well as internal bespoke standards unique to a particular single company but on the whole it would be seen as bad practice to dimension actually within the drawn object itself, the reason is for clarity to enable the reader to understand the drawing clearly without numerical information cluttering up things. However that being said if a particular drawing is relatively simple and your company or other customer/machine shop can identify and read the drawing clearly it could be acceptable. The standards are in place to help keep a uniformed balance on things especially between colleagues/other companies.
Leader lines would be the way to for hole dimensions.

Obviously for your own use you draw how you like in a way that suits you.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”